Author Topic: At Last: Name your favorite ride from the 1950's  (Read 10200 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
At Last: Name your favorite ride from the 1950's
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »
I have so many favorites from this period - here are two. The beautiful 1953 Studebaker, and the awesome 1957 Cadillac Eldorado.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Aaron65

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 209
  • Midland St.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: At Last: Name your favorite ride from the 1950's
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
These catagories are hard...obviously, my favorite is my '53 Buick Special...But it would be nice if it were a Skylark!  I also love sidescreen Triumphs, and if I could break the bank, I'd want a Lancia Aurelia B20GT...

Offline Avalanche

• Puzzle Points 40
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »
The car in my avatar...mind you, I'm a little biased... :eyebrow:
Dale

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

RayTheRat

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:09:17 AM »
These catagories are hard...obviously, my favorite is my '53 Buick Special...But it would be nice if it were a Skylark!  I also love sidescreen Triumphs, and if I could break the bank, I'd want a Lancia Aurelia B20GT...

This really is a tough one.  I can't really say 1953 Buick, because it was my first car.  That was in the early 60s.  

I wouldn't mind another Buick, but I'd prefer a 57...and the Caballero 4-door hardtop wagon is a pretty good example.  It's probably the only 4-dr I'd consider:

I used to walk by the "exotic car dealer" in the town where I lived and I'd drool over the Lotus Elite in the showroom.  I sure wouldn't mind this one:

I can't decide if I'd prefer a 58:

or a 59 Chevy Impala:

But a car that's been on my list of "gotta have one eventually" cars is a Studebaker Silver Hawk.  Not the Packard-engined or supercharged Golden Hawk, but the Cinderella sister.  

I'd love to build it as what's now called Pro-Touring with a Morrison frame and C6 Corvette suspension bits.

Alas, getting my hands on any of those is pretty slim, so I'll keep the vehicles I have now.  They're serving me well.

RtR
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:24:18 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline sixtee5cuda

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 425
  • Mopar Man
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
Every decade has cars that I really like.  To pick a single car from the 1950s is difficult, but I think that a car with a story, is an appropriate choice.

I was driving on highway 520 near Seattle one summer, and I saw something quite unexpected merge onto the freeway ahead of me.  It was such an incredible looking car, I was stunned, and didn't think to pull out a camera and take a picture.  After the fact, I recalled the bottom of the car was dark blue, the roof was white, it had vents mounted low on the front fenders, and the classic Zagato double-bubble design on the roof.

With some internet searching, I figured out that it was the 1956 Ferrari 250 GT TDF Zagato # 0515GT, owned by David Sydorick. 

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Nice!

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
Excellent pics so far. I'm going to skip over the '57 caddy and Studebaker Hawk for already having been mentioned; and likewise skip the C1 vette and 300SL as being too obvious; and then pick my 5th favorite car from the 50's, the DB4:

The mirror silver's a bit much, but imagine it in BRG if you will. :)
Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »
Nice car, but the car that inspired that recreation came one year too late for this thread  ;)

RayTheRat

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
I've loved this one ever since I first saw it (when it was new) 1957 Maserati 450S CP (Costin-Zagato) :

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
Nice car, but the car that inspired that recreation came one year too late for this thread  ;)

Argh, tis true. By way of apologies here's a non-zagato DB4 that squeaks in under the deadline. It's a more reasonable color, too :)

Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline fgsavoia

• Puzzle Points 23
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
1950 Abarth 205A by Vignale.

It's an unbelievable car, especially when you realize that Michelotti designed this car in 1950. If you go figure other cars of the same year this seems a spaceship.
This car could even be designed 15 years later and it would have been a great car anyway.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:44:09 PM by fgsavoia »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
Assuming I had the pockets full of money in the early fifties  :lmao: this Riva-bodied Alfa Romeo 6C 2500SS would have been my first choice. Decent but sophisticated.

The 1950 Pinin Farina Alfa comes on second place.