Author Topic: Djetset 893  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1417
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Djetset 893
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 03:12:17 AM »
I think the Autopuzzles joy is to Search and Find. Logical hints and clues are necessary, that's not mean giving away the puzzles.

Offline Djetset

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • Car Life
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 06:56:43 AM »
BH should not exist at all! Authors should give enough clues and hints to solve each one of them.
I'm sorry Arunas, but I tend to disagree. Without the Black Hole, we would now have 16 pages of Professional puzzles, most of them laying dormant for many years (we already have Pro puzzles that haven't been touched since 2016), but far more unmanageable. 

At least with the BH, when puzzles do get solved (as a few long-term BH puzzles have within just the last few days, proving that the solution is always out there somewhere, but can sometimes take a while to find), the puzzlers are rewarded with a least two points for their efforts.

To help reduce the number of unsolved vehicles within the BH, perhaps we could consider reworking BH. For example, we could reward the puzzle placer with a point if the puzzle has not been solved within the first two years, two points for three years, and so on. If a puzzle reaches its fifth anniversary unsolved, perhaps the puzzle placer then reveals the full details of the mystery vehicle and is awarded five points, for example, just as an idea (as an example, I'd love to know the identity of the 2CV/GT40 BH puzzle that PJ posted in 2010, as I have spent many hours - if not days - trying to find the answer to this one!).

After all, we are all meant to be car experts and enthusiasts here, so the puzzles should not be too easy and obvious, otherwise we might as well just post pictures of VW Golfs and Maserati Khamsins all day. Maybe this is one for the AP Masters to consider?   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:59:00 AM by Djetset »
A car is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »
Seems like an excellent idea to me.
Worth trying it out to see what happens?
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Djetset

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • Car Life
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
Seems like an excellent idea to me.
Worth trying it out to see what happens?
Thank you Carnut. Shall we give this 'new' BH system a try from 1st May onwards if everyone agrees?
A car is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
I'll ltake it up with all the Editors and see what they think.

Offline ChanceHuncha

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 117
  • College Student In Love With Cars.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »
I think it’s a really great idea, but don’t you think that people would only want to start solving puzzles that are years older and not the puzzles that were freshly added to the BH? I mean, those older puzzles have been in the BH for over 5 years for a reason, so you would think that people would spend all their time solving older ones and then let the newer BH puzzles build up. I’m not saying this is bound to happen, but it’s a possibility. Like I said, I like the idea and if you guys are with it im with it. But I just wouldn't want to see the BH build up from an attempted solution that didnt end up working.
Working on a 40,000+ Automobile Encyclopedia

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Thanks Chance but the idea didn't gain any favour.