Author Topic: FW #577  (Read 793 times)

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
FW #577
« on: July 24, 2024, 07:57:21 AM »
Pease identify this car: What is it? By whom? Based on? When?

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
Re: FW #577
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 06:21:03 PM »
Experts?

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 09:43:23 AM »
1957 Studebaker President proposal, based on the proposed new 1957 Studebaker-Packard corporate body which was mostly done by Fred Hudson under Packard Styling Chief Richard Teague. Most of the renderings of the Studebaker version of the car were done by Charles Maher, but the design is credited to Stewart Casting. Raymond Loewy & Associates also provided an alternative design for the proposed new 1957 Studebaker line, which was handsome but would have been very expensive to produce, using funds Studebaker-Packard simply didn't have. The puzzle car was designed and modeled in South Bend, Indiana at Studebaker Styling.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 10:00:51 AM by fyreline »
"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts"

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 10:37:12 AM »
Great answer. You are very nearby the solution. This proposal was done under Packard Styling Chief Richard Teague, but by a person, you havn't mentioned within your very detailed answer. Not 1957, not 'President'. LOCKED for you to correct the answer

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 02:08:12 PM »
There is a LOT of misinformation in several printed sources about this car (and in fact, most of the 1957-58 Studebaker-Packard proposals), I have made a study of these proposals over the years and I prefer to stick to what can be verified. The Studebaker proposal shown was NOT done by Teague's Packard Styling studio in Detroit, it was done in South Bend by Studebaker. Many people claimed after the fact that they did the design, including Frank Hudson and others as well. And it is most definitely a 1957 Studebaker President proposal, in spite of anything else you may have seen printed somewhere. Your puzzle, do as you will.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:33:37 PM by fyreline »
"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own facts"

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 03:24:28 PM »
There is no doubt that a lot of misinformation can be found in many printed sourceses. The copyright of the photo of the puzzle car is marked 'Dick Teague photo'.
You are more than welcome to provide evidence that refutes the misinformation

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 05:22:47 PM »
I can refer you to Dwight R. Heinmuller's excellent book series, "The Greatest Packards of Them All" Specifically Volume 2, "The Proposed 1957 Packards", which covers the design and development process of both the proposed 1957 Studebaker and Packard lines.  These books (which I highly recommend) were written in 2022 and list over 100 contributors to the effort, including Richard Teague, Virgil Exner Jr., Bill Schmidt and almost all of the S-P styling staff in both Detroit (Packard) and South Bend (Studebaker) - so these men know whereof they speak. It was entirely normal for the design chief - be it Teague, Exner, George Walker, Harley Earl or especially Raymond Loewy - to see that THEIR NAME went on anything produced by their corporation. Again, in any case, your puzzle, your rules. Thanks for posting the puzzle of an interesting car that I happen to  have a wealth of authoritative information on in my collection.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 05:28:48 PM by fyreline »

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2024, 02:42:04 AM »
Great information once more. Thank you very much! Checked other sources in my archive and totally agree with you, that this proposal have been designed in South Bend (at Studebaker) for the 1958-Studebaker President- and Packard-Clipper-line. My source mentions Duncan McRae as the designer of this proposal.

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2024, 08:57:06 AM »
Poor Duncan MacRae - a VERY talented S-P stylist who is unfortunately forever saddled with the "fish-mouth" 1958 Packard Hawk front end design . . . a car which I happen to like!

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2024, 11:29:55 AM »
With a close look at shapes and lines of the puzzle car, it's for me imaginable, that the design of the puzzle car actually came from him...
Or do you have another proof?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 01:57:57 AM by fromwien »

Offline fyreline

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 259
  • Livin' the Dream . . .
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2024, 05:35:27 PM »
From who, Duncan MacRae? I made no claim that he had anything to do with the puzzle car . . . You brought up his name, I didn't. Doesn't look like his work to me, either. He was certainly responsible for the Packard Hawk. That's about it.

Offline fromwien

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 886
  • Name That Car!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2024, 01:41:03 AM »
OK. Due to your great knowledge of this mystery car, and my uncertainty as to whether Duncan McRae is its truely designer, as stated by my source, I would like to leave the puzzle open to all until proof of the true designer is found.
I hope to do it right, since it should be in everyone's interest to find the right solution. Attached the unmolested puzzle photo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 02:05:45 AM by fromwien »