Author Topic: Someone else buy this!  (Read 19241 times)

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline porridgehead

• Puzzle Points 42
  • Seat's up! Pa's home!
Measures with mics, marks with chalk, cuts with axe, beats to fit and paints to match

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
Re: Someone else buy this!
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »
Where you been, P-Head? Inquiring minds want to know!    ;D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2007, 10:31:53 PM »
That would be the second VW van I've passed on this month, but my resistance is starting to give. What better transport for a 3 month road trip to every national park in the American Southwest?

For now, though, I have something else in mind. Bear with me for this eloquently worded tale of former racing glory:

In about 1970, it is carried by McLaren of a racing car, and it is an engine imported by Japan.
this is one of a small number of blocks cast in 1968 for the CANAM series by Chevrolet and refered to as SIDE OILERS due to the passage along the drivers side of the block. As for this block which is prototype, there are not a date code, a casting code. Shipping is only a boat.

Here that, APers?! Shipping is ONLY A BOAT. That's a friggin' bargain for an aluminum block SBC of completely unverifiable providence...especially if the deal includes the old copy of Motor Trend as pictured!

Engine carried by McLaren of a racing car
Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2007, 10:39:58 PM »
Mclaren of a racing car.  :lmao:

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 06:36:12 AM »
Would make a hell of a place to store all your old pistons laying around in the garage, S&M!   Either that, or a step stool for those hard to reach shelves in the kitchen!   ::)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »
Would make a hell of a place to store all your old pistons laying around in the garage, S&M!   Either that, or a step stool for those hard to reach shelves in the kitchen!   ::)

I'm having second thoughts about this particular specimen. Look closely at the cylinder liners. Is it just me, but do they appear to be:

1) A bit more robust than standard fare, and more importantly,
2) Machined for a little extra clearance around the perimeter in roughly the area one might want some valve relief on a big block Chevy?

Maybe it's just the lighting, but I'm thinking there might be some truth to the story behind this. Who's the resident ZL-1 / Can-Am big block expert?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 12:15:24 AM »
Stephen M - step up and take this six wheeler dune buggy for a 3 month road trip! Think of the tire rotation opportunities!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-VW-Modified-Dune-Buggy-conversion-2X6-roadster_W0QQitemZ280096782757QQcategoryZ6060QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »
That's one heck of a six wheeled screamin' yellow zonker. I'm looking for something with 8-10 wheels, though....

In the meantime, someone who shall remain nameless should jump on this:

MG Motometer!

Classy! Could also be used as a tap handle or for impromptu medical exams!

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »
Do not use as a probe.

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 12:09:59 AM »
Brand new 1973 VW T2 Van. 21 miles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INCREDIBLE-1973-VW-T2-VAN-NEVER-USED-GENUINE-21-MILES_W0QQitemZ200090584764QQcategoryZ18303QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*drool* That's the nicest T2 I've ever seen... and I've seen some damn nice ones.

Still, I don't think I could ever own it. The problem with time capsule cars is they depreciate dramatically the moment you take them out of the garage.

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »
Looks like a Blazer or Jimmy with a fucked up front clip...
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »
Well it has Blazer doors and apparently some Bronco body parts with a school bus engine/tranny. And I'll guess its bus chassis and wheels as well. Titled as a 1971 Bronco ... that would cause a few raised eyebrows at the safety inspection.

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
Time to trade in that ass-engined nazi camper van on a GEN-U-INE all american diesel 4x4 conversion van! I LOVE IT when a plan comes together!

Canyonero! Canyanero! Sing it with me now!

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
I've been lusting after a rig like that ever since I got to drive Quigley 4x4-converted E350s in Colorado. With the Powerstroke, it still ought to be good for 18-20 mpg which is what my Westy got on a good day.

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2007, 08:36:23 PM »
Sure, that cute little quigley van above may be just the thing for you.... if you like to wear pink, dot your "I"s with hearts, and make friendship necklaces out of buttercups.

If you've got a pair, however, you'll need to pick up one of these:

15 passenger Dually Diesel Snowhumper

Just the thing for you and a baker's dozen of your closest friends to take to the mall. And while searching in vain for a slot that will accommodate your rolling manhood, why not saunter over to that pile of snow and mount it? That's right, that's some dirty snow. BAD snow. You know you want to climb all over that dirty pile of mall lot snow. Admit it.

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
The seller of this lovely '85 Maserati Biturbo wins the Truth In Advertising award.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Maserati-1985-Maserati-Biturbo-Rusty-Bucket-of-Italian-Bolts_W0QQitemZ300102185871QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is one nasty, rusted demon of  $%$%$^#@#@#@ car that I have had the misery of calling my own since approximately 1991. I thought it would be pretty cool to own a Maserati, and for a while, I must admit, it was. Back in the early days, I had tremendous fun racing up and down the highway, and the sensation of being thrown back in the seat by the twin turbo's. That lasted about a year or so, and then I decided to redo the body, and overhaul the engine. That's when I met my first Maserati Mechanic. I should have known by his expensive Italian wardrobe that I was into some serious fun. In around 1994 I had the body redone (all sheet metal) and the engine overhauled. Then the electrical system started to develop a personality all it's own...think Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Turning on the headlights would trigger the windshield wipers! Sounding the air horn would activate the hazard lights! Ocassionally, there would be a complete system shut down, usually on a desolate stretch of roadway, or in the middle of a snowstorm. It was during these times that I came to appreciate the luxurious interior of the car, and spent many hours enjoying the opulance of the leather and wood trim, while admiring the view behind the latest tow truck!

But I digress in memory. To the present! The ugly miserable rust bucket has not been driven in approximately 10 years. The muffler has rusted completely away, and the rear bumper has fallen off. There are numerous lovely areas where a light poke with a drinking straw will penetrate the surface.

To be fair, the engine is likely in reasonably good condition (the engine was never really an issue). The interior is reasonable, with some assorted age tears in the front seats and a sagging headliner. There are probably a bunch of good parts to salvage or scavenge or what have you, or if you are a complete fool, you can try to restore it! I guarantee, you will need lots of money and an IQ around 30 to attempt this job.

I am starting this auction at $1.00. I offer no warranty whatsoever, other than a general guarantee that whoever is brave or foolish enough to buy this freakish eyesore will get their fill of heartache.

You want it, you arrange shipping.

DO NOT ASK ME TO TAKE OFF INDIVIDUAL PARTS AND SELL THEM TO YOU. I AM NOT A MECHANIC, JUST A GUY WHO FELL IN LOVE WITH AN IDEA. I WILL EITHER SELL THIS THING, OR HAVE IT TOWED TO THE WRECKERS AND POP A CHAMPAGNE CORK AS IT IS SQUISHED INTO A SMALL RUSTY METAL CUBE.

'Nuff said.

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »
You wanna go fast on 2 wheels...No, I mean FAAAAST!!!!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »
How 'bout a Buick GNX with 9, yes that's NINE, original miles. Currently bidding at $90k and the reserve still isn't met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-BUICK-GRAND-NATIONAL-GNX-359-NEVER-TITLED-9-MILES_W0QQitemZ180111767363QQihZ008QQcategoryZ6137QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2007, 11:18:52 PM »
How 'bout a Buick GNX with 9, yes that's NINE, original miles. Currently bidding at $90k and the reserve still isn't met.

Psssst. GM. A car you built 20 years ago, albeit selling "as-new", is apparently worth more than anything you build today.  :P

Me, I tend to think cars were made to be driven:

635k mile F-250

Turbo diesels never die, they just develop blowby.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 39
  • Nobody's Prefect
    • Old Car Junkie

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2007, 12:33:34 AM »
I'd buy that van body, but I lack the kart to mount it on. Instead, I'm going to make a sound, practical investment guaranteed to hold its value:

BMW 540i for only $7,600!!!!

Let's see....

Expensive German sedan available at a bargain price?

Salvage title?

Unknown mileage believed to be 165k....PLUS?

Dash lights indicating an array of expensive electrical malfunctions (SRS, ABS, etc.)?

The only way this could have been sweeter is if it was a seven series fitted with the V12.

BID WITH CONFIDENCE!

Offline Boxer2500

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 0
  • This space for rent
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2007, 12:43:03 AM »
If only it had a Nikasil V8 as well. Such a shame.