Author Topic: Car information thread  (Read 2101 times)

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Car information thread
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
I know there is an 'Information Requests // What is this car?' thread, but that one seems to me more like a photo ID thread, while starting this one I follow another goal - finding pictures and stories of any particular car.

I think I am not the only one who has such a problem (to be honest, I think everyone here has), so probably this topic will become helpful for many members.

For the start, I would like to propose a nice one. In 1955 Ivo Fanciullini has entered Mille Miglia race in a tiny closed bodywork Moto Guzzi powered Fanciullini 250 Sport sportscar number 012A, seems to run out of classification and mentioned to be entered in a Sport 250 class (in fact, the only Sport 250 entry). This was a DNF and nowadays the only mentioning of this car and driver (and the category in general, as the smallest was a Sport 750!). Trying to trace this car, I have stumbled upon a short story about Ivo Fanciullini who was a Mayor of San Gimignano from 1955 to 1972, but after contacting his son I was sadly informed that these are two different persons. Probably there is someone with a better knowledge about this man and his little sportscar and even with a picture of it?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:02:26 AM by faksta »

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Car information thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
I'm not having much hope with this, but who knows, maybe someone else have stumbled upon this car...
Last year and AFAIR this spring on some forum (I think it was a certain Chilean forum) I have seen quite a nice locally built sportscar from (again AFAIR) fifties. It was a light coloured coupe, quite similar in appearance to Brazilian Malzoni from the rear (or at least I remember it so). As far as I remember it was built by two brothers, and there was a photo from the rear (about 700-800px wide) and one more picture further, which I don't remember. The problem is, I suppose the thread containing that car has been either deleted or moved, and I can't find it anymore - I spent a whole day on it today. Does anybody understand what car I am talking about? If someone does, then, to remain it a nice and quite hard puzzle, you can PM the source or at least the name to me. Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I initially thought it was a car from Uruguay, but some indirect hints led me to Chile. Either way, that was not a country known for its sportscars even among the enthusiasts.

P.P.S. Let's make it worth a point, as I really suppose it is a hard nut.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:18:57 PM by faksta »

Offline woodinsight

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 557
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »
I've found some more information on this Mille Miglia entrant and the car -

My source lists Ivo Fanciullini as Italian and that he entered the 1955 Miile Miglia as the sole driver.

The winner (Moss/Jenkinson Mercedes) took 10h 07m 48s to cross the finishing line.
Ivo Fanciullini covered the same distance in 16h 07m 44s but sadly was not classed as a finisher.
If he had to carry a co-driver he would have taken even longer with the extra weight to carry.
Anyway, a splendid effort. He must have been exhausted after a solo drive of 16 hours at the wheel.

I have no further information regarding if he constructed the car on his own or with a member of his family.
Certainly I think this car holds the record for the smallest engined car to compete in a major race.

The only photo I have is shown below:
Unfortunately it doesn't show the car in full but it shows Ivo Fanciullini quite clearly.

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »
Oh, what a find! Thank you very much!
The car looks different than what I thought it would be. The picture is quite informative as well, clearly shows rear engine position, Topolino wheels and the overall shape. Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:20:53 AM by faksta »

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
I'm not having much hope with this, but who knows, maybe someone else have stumbled upon this car...
Last year and AFAIR this spring on some forum (I think it was a certain Chilean forum) I have seen quite a nice locally built sportscar from (again AFAIR) fifties. It was a light coloured coupe, quite similar in appearance to Brazilian Malzoni from the rear (or at least I remember it so). As far as I remember it was built by two brothers, and there was a photo from the rear (about 700-800px wide) and one more picture further, which I don't remember. The problem is, I suppose the thread containing that car has been either deleted or moved, and I can't find it anymore - I spent a whole day on it today. Does anybody understand what car I am talking about? If someone does, then, to remain it a nice and quite hard puzzle, you can PM the source or at least the name to me. Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I initially thought it was a car from Uruguay, but some indirect hints led me to Chile. Either way, that was not a country known for its sportscars even among the enthusiasts.

P.P.S. Let's make it worth a point, as I really suppose it is a hard nut.

The car is found and is neither from Uruguay nor from Chile. Will post it as a puzzle someday :)

Offline DeAutogids

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 204
  • This text is just for you!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • dAuto.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:54 PM »
Who can provide a picture of the Vinland?

Offline faksta

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 409
  • Russian Racer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
The car is found and is neither from Uruguay nor from Chile. Will post it as a puzzle someday :)

http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=16035.0  ;D

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »

Nobody can - it's an Icelandic herring of the most crimson variety...
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=9708.0

Offline DeAutogids

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 204
  • This text is just for you!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • dAuto.nl
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »

Nobody can - it's an Icelandic herring of the most crimson variety...
http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=9708.0
So I found out :(