Author Topic: Thoughts on the Dodge Demon?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Car-related musings
Thoughts on the Dodge Demon?
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »
I'd be interested in getting everyone's take on the Dodge Demon concept, as shown in Geneva.

Autoweek Article

I should say at the outset that I am a huge fan of the Dodge Razor concept from a few years back. When I heard Dodge had a small, sporty release planned for Geneva I got my hopes up.  The Razor was to be a spartan, parts-bin go-cart. 75% of Elise performance at half the price, or so I told myself. As you might have guessed, the Demon was not quite what I was looking for.

It looks nice enough. It looks like an edgier Solstice, a cheaper S2000, a.....well... a Dodge. Motivation comes from a 170hp 2.4 liter four-banger, numbers very familiar to baseline Solstice and Sky owners. The Solstice has been a big hit, and the Mia...MX-5 is selling well, so I can't fault Dodge for thinking their might be more room at the table. But it's not clear where the Demon pulls up its chair. Dodge isn't exactly known for small sporty convertibles these days. The odds of them building a better MX-5 are near nill. The odds of the Demon's styling luring away Solstice and Sky shoppers seems slight as well. Given DCX's current state, who's the Lutzian car guy that's going to see this one through? I don't see it happening, and I'm not sure I'm missing much.

So thank you, Dodge, for making this latest unbuilt concept less lamentable than the Razor.
Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Thoughts on the Dodge Demon?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »
For me, a sports car needs to be either better looking than most of the cars on the road, perform better than most of the cars on the road, or offer a combination of looks and performance than exceeds the average car's. 

In my estimation, this car meets none of those three criteria.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Tifosi

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 46
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
I'd like to see DCX build it, if only to see a change-of-pace from those dull, boring gunslit-windowed lumps they've been passing off since the 300C.  The styling concept worked on that car, but all the others look dumpy to me and a lot of other people.

On second thought, maybe they should spend the money on restyling the Charger...

Dan
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending..."

Bender B.Rodrigues

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
For me, a sports car needs to be either better looking than most of the cars on the road, perform better than most of the cars on the road, or offer a combination of looks and performance than exceeds the average car's. 

In my estimation, this car meets none of those three criteria.

We have a winner.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
Give me a point! Erbas is gainin' on me!
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Jagman

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 6
    • Dave's Jag
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
I think there's room in the market for this car, depending on price. If they can undercut the Sky/Solstice by a few thou, and still have decent quality, it'll be a good niche car for them. If it comes in close to $30 k, the way most of the Sky are, it probably won't do as well............

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »
I think there's room in the market for this car, depending on price. If they can undercut the Sky/Solstice by a few thou, and still have decent quality, it'll be a good niche car for them. If it comes in close to $30 k, the way most of the Sky are, it probably won't do as well............

You might be right.   The P.T. Barnum maxims should never be underestimated.

;)
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »
and still have decent quality

That to me is the operative consideration, even more so than price. I just wouldn't buy a Chrysler product. Too many issues with longevity of components for me to part with my money for one.  Been that way for 30 years. Doesn't seem to have changed all that much under Daimler's tender ministrations. In fact, some of ChryCo's problems seem to have rubbed off on MB!   :o
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

Offline Tifosi

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 46
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 10:08:47 PM »
The April issue of Motor Trend has the Demon on it's cover with a blurb about it being a 15,000 dollar car.  Inside, the article mentions a possible price of 20 grand...if it really could be a modern TR that doesn't leak oil and starts every time, and it could be had out the door for 15 grand, it might work...most Miatas are mid 20 grand cars.

But what I want to know is, what happenned to Chrysler?  It used to produce cars that were innovative and stylish...now, everything looks like a '49 Plymouth...

Dan

Bender B.Rodrigues

Offline MG

• Free Radical
  • Puzzle Points 12
  • Designated Driver
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 06:38:44 AM »
'49 Plymouth...

49 Plymouths were innovative and stylish back in 49. What's your point?    ???
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away!

Offline Tifosi

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 46
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
My point is that they were stylish and innovative in 1949...it isn't 1949 any more...and Chrysler is building some of the stodgiest automobiles on the market.  They seem to be in a pattern, some great designs, followed by some really poor ones...first the Forward Look, then the "plucked chickens" that got Virgil Exner fired...the fuselage cars of the late '60's that were grossly overdone in the early '70's...the Cordoba that just went away...the late '80'sLeBaron that stayed around too long...the LH cars that turned into the butt ugly Charger, the Sebring that looks like a milk truck compared to it's predecessor...I can't wait to see how they screw up the PT Cruiser!

Dan

Bender B.Rodrigues

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
They screwed up the PT Cruiser when they washed it in hot water before they ever produced them!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline vwlarry

• Puzzle Points 8
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »
Ick. :yuck:

...Hey, you asked. :)