Author Topic: An ordinary car buff's library  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
An ordinary car buff's library
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
I enjoy a good book like a piece of apple pie. Here are some of my automotive books, bought some 25 years ago, that have left a sweet taste in my mouth.

I started with this one. Basic book for beginners. The author, armed with a pair of scissors, mostly cut out the cars from old magazine advertisings and pasted them on a white sheet. And when he could'nt or didn't want to destroy the magazine, he just did a drawing instead. This "enlarged edition" is the second copy that I've bought, some years after the original edition. The first is repaired with red and white tape, but the second remained in 3 or 4 pieces with flying sheet, because these books have a definite tendancy to fall apart.
There weren't that many complete books about US cars in Paris at the time when you carried a flat wallet. I've got better ones maybe since, in bright colors on glossy papers, but I never forgot this one. Glossy paper books usually show contemporary photos of shiny restored cars. I like the original stuff. And when I opened my Spotter after a few months of Autopuzzles, I was quite surprised to see that many of the rarest cars proposed on the site, such as the Gordon Diamond or the Bobbi Kar, were in fact in it.

Someone else, I believe it's Paul Jaray, mentioned this book elsewhere in the site. Also one of the firsts that I've bought. Poorly printed, like the other one, but first class binding, as all the rest. Rare pictures of cars in films, actors in cars... The cars not always accurately identified, but who cares? Nice stuff.

I bought one or two of these Crestline series books, then bought six more from a friend who moved to Corsica and wanted to travel light. Still relatively poor printing, greyish photos and boring text with facts and only facts, but INVALUABLE! Every model pictured, plus some clays or concepts, and 99,99% period factory photos.

The cover says it all. Early Nascar as told by the drivers themselves, fine (and well printed) black and white photographs, all of this packaged in an intelligent and sensitive text by the author. And you learned who took his monkey with him in the car, and who took a loaded gun.

I have four of these Ford books all bound in padded leather. Very good printing and only period photos, of course. Well, in one of them they added some modern color illustrations that aren't too good (not this one, which is a 1930's image). The man does the cars OK, but his characters are lousy.
There are two problems with contemporary automotive illustrators. One is that they are often nitpickers, and it's hard to keep the strength of a image when you pay too much attention to detail. The other is that very often they draw cars from a photo, using an airbrush, and don't really know how to draw. So their perpectives or characters are often faulty.
In this book, you'll find some delights like the list of color and upholstery combinations, list of standards and options, year by year, photos of dealerships and accessory displays, so you will feel like you can go down to the corner and buy one right now.

It's not a book, it's a magazine, but in hardcover! I only have one but I wish I had more. Great text and illustration (in this copy there is a long article about the Adler, extensively illustrated by paintings from Walter Gottschke, to whom none of the critics I made above applies).

In guise of conclusion, I'll say that, if there has always been a debate about european cars being better than american cars, or vice versa, I won't take side in it. But I can tell you that their book-binding is definitely top-notch!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:30:53 PM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: An ordinary car buff's library
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
I've just read Bi-Polar Bear article about Autopuzzles, and our book reviews. He states that "... Need a repair manual for your Trabant? They will help you locate one. How about an original shop manual for your 1936 Cord? They can help you with that too." Well, let me add my brick to this wall, not by scanning my shop manual for my former 49 Olds, but by giving a few links about where to find those.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/
http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/index.shtml

For all you living in the rest of the world, they're in the USA, yes. But in my time (and it was before the internet) I easily and successfully ordered stuff from them.

I know, I know, we have a no-linking rule. But do you want to be "considered the Internet's Beaulieu Encyclopedia of Automobiles" or not?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:18:40 PM by Ray B. »

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »

I know, I know, we have a no-linking rule. But do you want to be "considered the Internet's Beaulieu Encyclopedia of Automobiles" or not?

Links are fine everywhere here except in the puzzles section.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
Hi Ray,

I´d love to read all of your featured books. I do only have the german version of Tad Burness´"Monstrous American Car Spotter´s Guide 1920-1980" and it is well used.

Here you can see the bigger part of my automotive books, but none of the uncounted sales brochures, models, magazine ads or playing card games... ;D

I´ve just discovered this whole book group and will try to contibute something, too.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:44:16 AM by grobmotorix »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Wow! My automobile library is a dwarf compared to yours!

Offline 75america

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 293
  • Gran Torino
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »
Wow! My automobile library is a dwarf compared to yours!

Mine too.

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »
Impressive! It seems Grobmotorix started collecting car literature some years earlier...

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 335
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »
Fantastic! If I won in the lottery someday, one of the first thing that I´ll do is try to buy your library!!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
[...] or playing card games... ;D

Sticht!

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »
Sure?  ;)

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:18 PM »
Touché!

(many of yours are from more recent years. I quitted collecting as I was ~ 15...)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:46:06 PM by Allemano »

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »
Das kostet was!

Für das Foto hatte ich richtig Streß - mußte erstmal 14 Kisten aus dem Keller hochschleppen (es gibt ja auch noch ein paar doppelte...)

Aber was soll´s - ich nehm die Gelegenheit beim Schopf und sortiere die Neuerwerbungen der letzten zwei Jahre ein - hat alles auch ein Gutes.

I love this website -  all car nuts out there unite!

Bin morgen übrigens in Spa-Franchorchamps bei den Royal Motor Union Oldtimer Rennen - sehr zu empfehlen - noch dazu bei dem Wetter!

http://www.rmuclassic.be/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:51:33 PM by grobmotorix »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »
Mich graut's heute noch, dass ich im Alter von 11 oder 12 Jahren in einem Anfall von Wahnsinn etwa die Hälfte meiner Quartettkarten zerschnitten habe, um mit den Motiven meine Kindermöbel zu bekleben..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:06:40 PM by Allemano »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
Ah, the fleeting capriciousness of youth.

Enjoy the race Grob - bring back some pics to share, if you can!
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:35 PM »
It's quite a short way from Aachen to Spa, isn't it?

Are you at Eiffel Classics this year?

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:30 PM »
Hi Allemano,

if I have a free weekend then, I may be there, yes. Contact me if you want to meet there. 
Might be great to talk to another car nut ;)

http://www.rec2008.de/

Mich graut's heute noch, dass ich im Alter von 11 oder 12 Jahren in einem Anfall von Wahnsinn etwa die Hälfte meiner Quartettkarten zerschnitten habe, um mit den Motiven meine Kindermöbel zu bekleben..
I do know what you mean - at the age of ca. 10 years I thought it was agreat idea to create a monstrously big scrapyard.
So I took a big hammer and smashed the half of my toy cars to the ground.
Many old Siku/Schuco/Dinky/Hot Wheels/Matchbox etc, died at this days in the early 1980s... :'(

It's quite a short way from Aachen to Spa, isn't it?
It takes me just 40min to reach the track  :drive:

@Ottto:

sorry I´ll switch to english again.

Enjoy the race Grob - bring back some pics to share, if you can!

Yes - as the weather should be quite fine I hope to shoot some nice pics.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:51:24 PM by grobmotorix »

Offline tonyola

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 78
  • Junior
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
One of the best car book bargains and a fascinating source of info is the Encyclopedia of American Cars by Publications International - the same people who produce Collectible Automobile magazine. It covers in detail every major American marque since 1930 and has brief descriptions of the minor marques. The articles for each marque are fairly thorough and balanced, and do not shy away from discussing problems and weaknesses. There are also well over 3,000 photographs. But for me the real treasure is the tables accompanying each marque - complete model listings with prices, weight, production numbers, wheelbases, and engine options. I had seen the books new for around $25. Not perfect (there are a few errors and the book is not expensively produced), but very, very well worth it.

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
Hi Allemano,

if I have a free weekend then, I may be there, yes. Contact me if you want to meet there. 
Might be great to talk to another car nut ;)

I will be there with a couple of buddies. With our tents when the weather is sweet...  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:42:09 PM by Allemano »

Offline tonyola

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 78
  • Junior
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »
I agree about the Crestline books - I have several and they range in quality from very mediocre to pretty great. Though they are all well illustrated, they look amateurishly produced, photo quality is poor, and some of the writing in the poorer books is pretty awful. The Cadillac-LaSalle book you pictured is one of the better selections, though it stops at 1982. Other good ones:

The Plymouth-Desoto Story
Cars of Lincoln-Mercury
The History of Hudson
Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg
International Trucks

I also have one that's quite rare, long out of print, and truly weird and fascinating: American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
One of the best car book bargains and a fascinating source of info is the Encyclopedia of American Cars by Publications International - the same people who produce Collectible Automobile magazine.

I´ve just ordered one online for a mere 9,60 Euro incl. shipping!  :D

Thank you for the post   :)

I also have one that's quite rare, long out of print, and truly weird and fascinating: American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900

If you like weird books I really would like to present those two books. They go one step further...

Both show the re-discovered negatives collections of a swiss police and an american press photographer.

I´ve got to advise you that some pictures are really drastic, showing the injured or dead victims of the crashes.

But they´re both real gems of my collection, showing one topic you can´t ignore...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:15:02 PM by grobmotorix »

DeAutogids.nl

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
I have a book with logo's applied to American cars from the earlie ages until the 1960's.  A book full of just logo's.