Author Topic: Solved - NEH 4167: 1952 Comet Special  (Read 247 times)

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Solved - NEH 4167: 1952 Comet Special
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
I know it uses an easily identifiable body but that's not the answer I'm looking for..
What is this car and from when does it date, for 1 point?:

Remember - solving puzzles using 'Google Search by Image' is BANNED on AutoPuzzles!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
Re: NEH 4167
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:36 AM »
Experts?

Offline pftnbr

• Sam
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 67
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:37:22 AM »
1952 Comet Special. I've also seen it referred to as Comet C3 and for sale in the back of a magazine as the 1952 American Road Race Special.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »
1952 Comet Special. I've also seen it referred to as Comet C3 and for sale in the back of a magazine as the 1952 American Road Race Special.

That's the car.

The car has been For Sale and this is what the advertiser said about it:

The Comet was one of the first V-8 powered, fiberglass bodied, road race specials built and raced in the United States. It was assembled in 1952 in Chicago, utilizing an MG TD chassis, Glasspar fiberglass body, modified Mercury flathead V-8 engine, Ford running gear and Lincoln front brakes.

The Comet was owned and driven by Glen Glendenning from 1953 through 1959. It won its first race in August, 1952, at the Janesville, Wisconsin airport.

It raced in the 1955 inaugural Road America Race against cars such as Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Cunningham, Excalibur and Allard. Famous drivers in the race included Jim Kimberly, Brook Stevens, Bill Spear, Briggs Cunningham and Phil Hill.

In 1956, the Chevrolet Engineering Department gave Glen three experimental 283 cubic inch Corvette engines with four-speed transmissions, one of which he installed in the Comet. In 1957, Glendenning and Augie Pabst co-drove the Comet in the 500-mile race at Road America. Other race courses included Wilmot Hills, Meadowdale, Milwaukee ans SAC airfields.

The side lights were used to signal the crew that a problem has occurred or the intention to come in for a pit stop.
UNQUOTE