Author Topic: Solved NIC#158 - 1958 Fry-Climax F2  (Read 503 times)

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 605
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Solved NIC#158 - 1958 Fry-Climax F2
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »
I'm surprised that this hasn't been a previous puzzle. Date and marque, please, and who usually drove this car?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:13:34 PM by nicanary »
I must be right - that's what it says on Wikipedia

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 605
Re: NIC #158
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Experts?

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
Fry-Climax  Formula 2 car from 1958
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 605
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
Fry-Climax  Formula 2 car from 1958

Yes, that's the car. I have it down as 1959, but the car was probably built in the winter of 1958/59 so i can accept that date. There was a bit of a story behind who was supposed to drive the car, and who was eventually the regular driver.

LOCKED for you to provide the name of the usual driver.

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: NIC #158 LOCKED
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
According to Mike Lawrence it was built by David Fry for Stuart Lewis-Evans to race in 1959.  After his fatal accident in the 1958 Morocco GP the car was raced by Michael Parkes.
It was built in 1958 - I saw Michael Parkes race it in the 1958 Anerley Trophy at Crystal Palace.
Duncan Rollo

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 605
Re: NIC #158 LOCKED
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
According to Mike Lawrence it was built by David Fry for Stuart Lewis-Evans to race in 1959.  After his fatal accident in the 1958 Morocco GP the car was raced by Michael Parkes.
It was built in 1958 - I saw Michael Parkes race it in the 1958 Anerley Trophy at Crystal Palace.

For the second time today, I've been wrong because I believed something written down without checking my facts. Your are absolutely right, and I apologise for my laxity. I got the date from a well-known book on Formula racing cars written by the usually-excellent David Hodges. Your eyes did not deceive you in 1958 - the car first raced in June at Brands Hatch (according to the usually infallible Black Book) and the Anerley Trophy was held in July.

One point to your total. Mike Parkes had some hand in the design and development of the Fry, which is probably why he was invited to drive it. He was no slouch behind the wheel, even if his frame was difficult to accomodate (Ferrari had to build a lengthened chassis when he raced in F1 for them), and of course he was a first-class development engineer - I should imagine that, at the time he was racing the Fry, he was involved in early work on the Hillman Imp project.

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
Re: Solved NIC#158 - 1958 Fry-Climax F2
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
It's unusual for David Hodges to be wrong.  If it's the book I think it is, it says "... intended for Stuart Lewis-Evans to race in 1959 .." so he doesn't actually say when it was built
Duncan Rollo

Offline nicanary

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 605
Re: Solved NIC#158 - 1958 Fry-Climax F2
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
It's unusual for David Hodges to be wrong.  If it's the book I think it is, it says "... intended for Stuart Lewis-Evans to race in 1959 .." so he doesn't actually say when it was built

Good point. I'm generally having a bad day AP-wise. Not concentrating enough - must do better.