Author Topic: Solved - NEH 3365: 1951 prototype for new Morris Minor  (Read 580 times)

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Solved - NEH 3365: 1951 prototype for new Morris Minor
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
What's this and from when does it date, for 1 point?:

ANYONE FOUND GIVING ANSWERS OBTAINED BY USING GOOGLE SEARCH BY IMAGE MAY BE BANNED FOR AN INDETERMINATE PERIOD!
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
Re: NEH 3365
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »
Experts?

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »
Prototype for a car for Morris Minor owners to move up to.  It eventually became the Wolseley 1500 & Riley 1.5 in Britain and the Morris Major and Austin Lancer in Australia. 
Date - about 1953.
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:52:24 AM »
Prototype for a car for Morris Minor owners to move up to.  It eventually became the Wolseley 1500 & Riley 1.5 in Britain and the Morris Major and Austin Lancer in Australia. 
Date - about 1953.

You've got the right car, but my information differed slightly.
I've tried to check it but try as I might I can't pull up the information any more at all; even trying to find it using Google Search by Image comes up with nothing!

If you know where it is maybe you could PM me the link to the image?  I find That Website almost impossible to navigate around and never seem to be able to find the same picture twice on it hence I rarely use it..

Thanks

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
This wasn't from any website, it's based on my own observations.  It looks like a 2-door mid-fifties Morris Oxford and has the proportions of the Wolseley 1500 etc so I decided it must be a prototype from that era.  I did read somewhere once that the Woleley 1500 etc were intended as a 'step up' from a Morris Minor but not as big a step as to an Oxford.  Then BMC decided it wouldn't sell enoughso they moved the car upmarket.
I did try looking around for BMC prototypes without any success but found out some other things - e.g.  Did you know that the original in-house 1100 prototype looked like a Mini on steroids so BMC put the design out to Pininfarina?
Duncan Rollo

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
This wasn't from any website, it's based on my own observations.  It looks like a 2-door mid-fifties Morris Oxford and has the proportions of the Wolseley 1500 etc so I decided it must be a prototype from that era.  I did read somewhere once that the Woleley 1500 etc were intended as a 'step up' from a Morris Minor but not as big a step as to an Oxford.  Then BMC decided it wouldn't sell enoughso they moved the car upmarket.
I did try looking around for BMC prototypes without any success but found out some other things - e.g.  Did you know that the original in-house 1100 prototype looked like a Mini on steroids so BMC put the design out to Pininfarina?

Thanks.
You mean this, which I decided not to post as it's too easy?

I got this (3365) puzzle off the net (a well-known Austin-Rover site as I recall) but can no longer find any picture or reference to my puzzle anywhere on the net!
You are very close to the answer but a bit out with the year and exactly what it was so you can have a dig around too and see if you have any more luck than I do.  It's a Morris and it's Minor-related..
Still locked for you of course but if anyone else knows where the picture can be found perhaps they could PM me the link and I'll try to make it worth their while!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:29:15 AM by Carnut »

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Not found anything positive yet

Could it be a prototype for a Morris Minor replacement which was never developed because the original Minor was selling so well?
Duncan Rollo

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
Not found anything positive yet

Could it be a prototype for a Morris Minor replacement which was never developed because the original Minor was selling so well?

Yes, that is indeed what it is.
They settled for just a facelift instead, which lasted for almost another 20 years, by which time it was almost pre-historic and only bought by district nurses...!
Just the date to sort out now for your point.

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
Is the date 1951?
Is the car's designation DO 976?
Duncan Rollo

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
Is the date 1951?
Is the car's designation DO 976?

1951 it is but I don't know the factory code for it.
It's most odd I can't find it, even using Search by Image; I wonder if it has been removed.  I've wasted hours looking for it!
1 point for you anyway; well done.

Online D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
Re: Solved - NEH 3365: 1951 prototype for new Morris Minor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
The factory code came from a Morris Minor forum - but it's questionable as the same number appears twice in the listing.
Duncan Rollo