Author Topic: SAC#830 : FAP barquette  (Read 942 times)

Offline pguillem

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 531
  • Designer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: SAC#830 : FAP barquette
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
I was thinking of an Alba.  Looking for FAP Palhinhas, I could'nt find the puzzle car but I found another image which intrigues me. Here is the legend :

"Departure for the Goblet City of the Port, enclosed race in the program of the Circuit of the Boavista of 1953 for automobiles with engine until 1100cc, test where the cars “Made in Portugal” had been in clearly has detached. With nº 3 is Fernando Palhinhas, in FAP, tipped for nº 1 and winning future Real Cut Pear tree, in Alba, and for nº 4, Abílio Barros, also in FAP. Soon behind, nº12, is Matos Gil, in FOOT, and Duarte Lopes (nº8) in DM. The category up to 750 cc would be gains for Jose Emídio Da Silva, in DB Panhard (nº 19), the car darker than if sees in the fourth line of the grate and that it would finish in room place of the general classification.
For mere curiosity, and as complement to text, we have that the FAP of Fernando Palhinhas was the RO-10-34 (fact on the basis of a chassis Fiat #508C209158, the Alba de Real Corte Pear tree was the OT-10-54 (that #0001 is the chassis ALBA), the FAP of Abílio Barros was the IB-10-61 (fact on the basis of a chassis Fiat), the FOOT of Matos Gil was the MP-14-00 (I judge that done on the basis of a Panhard chassis, without the absolute certainty…) e the DB Panhard de Jose Emídio Da Silva is that one that Jose Guedes Leather strap already said in another one post, the IE-17-74, chassis #768
."

Strange.  The two FAPs on the front line look very different from the puzzle car when in turn the middle car, an Alba, looks very much like it.  What's the reason ?

Offline Joao Gois

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 90
  • Car freak...
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Could you send me the original text (that translations is ATROCIOUS!) so I can digg on my database? I have some info on those cars, I'm sure...
Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Offline pguillem

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 531
  • Designer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
Hello Joao !  Your inbox is full, so I could'nt send you the link to "Os Herois" site.  Here is the original text :

Circuito da Boavista 1953

Partida para a Taça Cidade do Porto, corrida incluída no programa do Circuito da Boavista de 1953 para automóveis com motor até 1100cc, prova em que os carros "Made in Portugal" estiveram em claro destaque. Com o nº 3 está Fernando Palhinhas, em FAP, ladeado pelo nº 1 e futuro vencedor Corte Real Pereira, em Alba, e pelo nº 4, Abílio Barros, também em FAP. Logo atrás, nº12, está Matos Gil, em PE, e Duarte Lopes (nº8) em DM. A categoria até 750 cc seria ganha por José Emídio da Silva, em DB Panhard (nº 19), o carro mais escuro que se vê na quarta fila da grelha e que terminaria em quarto lugar da classificação geral.

Por mera curiosidade, e como complemento ao texto, temos que o FAP de Fernando Palhinhas era o RO-10-34 (feito com base num chassis Fiat #508C209158, o Alba de Corte Real Pereira era o OT-10-54 (que é o chassis ALBA #0001), o FAP de Abílio Barros era o IB-10-61 (feito com base num chassis Fiat), o PE de Matos Gil era o MP-14-00 (julgo que feito com base num chassis Panhard, sem a certeza absoluta…) e o DB Panhard de José Emídio da Silva é aquele que o José Correia Guedes já falou noutro post, o IE-17-74, chassis #768.

Obrigado,

Patrick

Offline Joao Gois

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 90
  • Car freak...
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Yes, I had... I've cleaned it up, it's ready for more messages.

The original text actually offers no usefull information on the FAP (which I will cut my arm off if it's actually called "Barquette", it's not even a Portuguese word...). This is what I've got about FAP:

FAP stands for "Fiat-Adler-Palhinhas" and was the brand brainchild of Fernando Palhinhas meant for the "up to 1100cc" road racing category, very popular in Portugal in the early 50s. The name comes from their first car, a cigar-shaped speedster based on Fiat mechanics and a modified Adler bodywork (maker of which Palhinhas was a certified repairshop). FAP was the most prolific brand of racing cars, with 12 cars built, 16 drivers and had up to 5 cars racing simultaneously, all different from each other. Displacements varied from 1100cc up to 1500cc and FAP collected quite a few victories in its class and overall, as was the case of the Circuito da Boavista, in Porto.

As far as I could investigate, the pictured car is no longer in existance or, if it is, it's laid aside for long because its licence plate no longer is on the national DMV database. I found there's a book on FAP, as soon as I have further information I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:07:33 AM by Joao Gois »