Author Topic: Ecn-184 Solved: Mercedes-Benz 540 Streamline Coupe  (Read 622 times)

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 148
  • Zenstation
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoGEN
Ecn-184 Solved: Mercedes-Benz 540 Streamline Coupe
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
Tell me what is that for 1 point, please. :)

Offline ropat53

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 734
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Ecn-184
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
1938 Mercedes Benz 540 Jaray Stromlinien Coupe by Sindelfingen.
540 without compressor, not 540K.

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 148
  • Zenstation
    • AutoGEN
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:58:51 AM »
Are you sure it's not 540 K? I got it listed as 540 K, but my source might me wrong.

Any proof / more info?

Topic locked. ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:02:30 AM by Ecnelis »

Offline ropat53

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 734
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
I found reference to this car in various sites that call it 540 Jaray and one, that I consider very well informed, says (without compressor).
Would you like me to PM you the site where I found this?
If you search the Internet you'll find die-cast models that also call the car 540 Jaray, without the K.

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 148
  • Zenstation
    • AutoGEN
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
OK, that's a point. :)

But is it 540 or 540 K?

Let's move to pros to clafiry that (sorry - for no point). ;)

Offline Bill Murray

• Puzzle Points 277
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
I was trying to solve this one as well and I think I can perhaps verify the following.

In a very respected book on the history of MB cars, the vehicle is described as follows.

"MB Typ 540 "ohne Kompressor" Streamline coupe as a test vehicle for Dunlop Tyre Factory.  Karosserie Sindelfingen.  Jaray Stromlinienform.  1938"

Bill
Cheers
Bill

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2341
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:06 AM »
Yes, in Werner Oswald's Mercedes-Benz book (to which you probably refer) it is described as a 540 without Kompressor.

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 148
  • Zenstation
    • AutoGEN
Re: Ecn-184 Solved: Mercedes-Benz 540 Streamline Coupe
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 03:59:52 AM »
Thank you both. :)

Offline Ecnelis

• Holometamorphosis
  • Expert
  • Puzzle Points 148
  • Zenstation
    • AutoGEN
Mercedes-Benz 540 K Streamliner
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:29:24 AM »
It's alive again!

Back to the future – ahead of its time: Mercedes-Benz 540 K Streamliner (W 29), 1938. Built as a one-off model in the special vehicle production unit of the Mercedes-Benz Sindelfingen plant. Following its restoration and reconstruction to the original condition, the car is brought back into the public eye by Mercedes-Benz Classic in mid-2014. The measurement in the wind tunnel in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim in May 2014 delivers a sensational drag coefficient of Cd = 0.36.

The restoration of the 540 K Streamliner represents one of the most complex projects undertaken by Mercedes-Benz Classic. The starting signal was given at the end of 2011. Some important components of the original vehicle were preserved among the company’s own collection, for example the complete frame and the rear axle which, with higher speeds a key factor, featured a longer gear ratio. But of the most important component of this unique vehicle only traces remain on the frame: the streamlined aluminium body. And that is what makes this 540 K probably the most unusual 540 K in the world.

Its history, at a glance:
Built in the first half of 1938.
Delivered in June 1938 to tyre manufacturer Dunlop.
Employed for the testing of high-performance tyres for particularly fast and heavy vehicles.
Adopted into the collection of the Mercedes-Benz Museum during the 1950s.
2011: Starting signal given for full restoration to original condition at Mercedes-Benz Classic.

The vehicle:
Chassis and engine of the Mercedes-Benz 540 K.
Streamlined aluminium body – an absolute one-off.
Designed strictly in accordance with the understanding of aerodynamics at the time of its creation; flowing lines, low silhouette, minimal surface interruptions; panelled underbody.
Technical data Cylinders: 8/in-lineDisplacement: 5401 ccOutput: 85 kW (115 hp), with supercharger 132 kW (180 hp)Top speed: 185 km/hDrag coefficient of Cd = 0.36
The longer transmission ratio identified on the rear axle, at i = 2.90 (rather than i = 3.08, as for the standard-production 540 K models) prevents the engine from overrevving at the higher top speeds made possible by the optimised aerodynamics.

On the trail of evidence:
The chassis frame tells the story: traces of aluminium provide clues about the bodywork, residual colour about the silver paintwork, drill holes about the attachment of the full underbody panelling, indications of wear about the testing programme at Dunlop.
Thorough research in the archives produced some important findings: following comparison with the entry in the commission book, the numbers found on the frame confirmed the vehicle’s authenticity. Further documents revealed the use of silver-bronze paintwork, grey interior appointments and walnut wood trim.
An important basis for the restoration was provided by the photos, quotation drawings and - the biggest find of all - a historical description of the surface of the outer shell. This drawing, produced in February 1938, includes certain important details that were found on the original frame.

The restoration and reconstruction:
Time frame: early 2012 to mid-2014 (approx. two and a half years).
Restoration and reconstruction to the original condition using contemporary craft skills, methods and materials.
The original line drawing of 1938 was transposed in meticulous detail to a 3D surface model, using sophisticated CAD design techniques, to provide the basis for production drawings, auxiliary tools and templates.
Extreme precision in the preparation and implementation of every detail and each stage of the work.
Original components were preserved and re-used - and still show the marks of time.
Careful craftsmanship was involved at every stage. Rebuilding the body shell alone involved more than 4800 hours of work – the sort of effort and expense that simply cannot be compared with a conventional restoration.
Reconstruction of the underbody panelling with the help of aerodynamic experts from Mercedes-Benz passenger car development.
Repair of engine and transmission, and subsequent testing of components, on the output dynamometer of the engine development department in Untertürkheim.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:44:58 AM by Ecnelis »