Author Topic: Speedy Special #237 - Tim Rochlitzer's True Radius Bending Special  (Read 405 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
For one point, name this special automobile and its builder.

Only a complete and specific answer will earn a point!  

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply.  You can do so by clicking here.

If you have not done so, please familiarize yourself with the AutoPuzzles Rules before attempting to solve this puzzle.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:50:44 PM by Otto Puzzell »
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Speedy Special #237
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »
Up

RayTheRat

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
It's the Bennett & Rocklitzer Lakester. 

RtR

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
Partway there. I have a longer-form name for this car.

Locked for RtR

RayTheRat

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Do you mean D/Lakester?  'Course it might have been E/GL meaning [engine category] / Gas Lakester.  I don't know if they ever ran alcohol/nitro in that one, in which case it would have been E/FL.

Tim Rocklitzer's current car is called the "Raspberry Rocket."  See photo.  I believe it was a "maturation" of the previous car (with a hell of a lotta work put into it.)  He's run D/GL, D/FL and with a motor swap, C/GL and C/FL.  (He ran 302 mph with this engine.)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
You know this car and builder better than I. Here's what I have:

Tim Rochlitzer's True Radius Bending Special after arriving in Wendover for Speedweek in 1968. The car was powered by a 305" Chevy and ran in Class D Lakester. The record it was going after was 260.880 mph set by the Markley Brothers in 1966. By the time the rains came they had only gotten the car up to 173.41 mph and had to settle for a first in class as the Markleys didn't have time for an engine switch form the other class they were running in.

That's a point for you

RayTheRat

Thank you....but that iteration of the lakester kinda predates me.  I was wearing green, baggy clothes at that time.  (I was in the army for those who don't get that.)

Here's a shot of it in the staging lane, obviously running in engine class E.