Author Topic: Whaddyacallit #90-SOLVED- 1926 Panhard Aerodynamic Sedan  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
Ever seen this ?

Please, respond below and let us know the make and model designation of the car posted here.
If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer.
Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:21:31 PM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Whaddyacallit #90
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
I'd call it a menace to pedestrians.  ;)
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline jimjarron

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 83
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Jim Jarron's Motoring Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:35:40 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the North-Lucas prototype in its final form, as rebuilt.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
I must admit that i don't know what the "North-Lucas prototype" is and would look like. But there is very, very, little chance that this car has anything to do with it.
If you know more, please prove me wrong.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »
Moved

Offline jimjarron

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 83
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Jim Jarron's Motoring Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »
Obviously then I am mistaken.  That was just a guess off the top of my head.  I've checked a few references since and, although the front end of the North-Lucas was rebuilt some years after the car was made, it appears that it was only the front wings (fenders, if you prefer) that were visibly different: the car never had a conventional radiatior and bonnet (it had a boat-like front, something similar to the Rumpler Teardrop).  For some strange reason though, the rest of the body of the puzzle car bears a strong similarity to the North-Lucas.

The North-Lucas (designed by Oliver North, Chief Designer at Scammell, better known for his work in the commercial vehicle field, and financed by Ralph Lucas) was built in 1922.  The body was a composite structure of aluminium, steel and wood, the wheels were carried on forged steel arms, the pivots containing the coil spring suspension and hydraulic dampers.  It was rear engined (five cylinder radial) and air cooled and drive to the rear wheels was by universally jointed half shafts.  Interestingly, Ferdinand Porsche patented a very similar design ten years later.  Sadly the car, the only one built, was broken up in the 1940s.

As for the mystery car, I don't really know what it is, but something about that radiator suggests a Voisin C12 to me.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
Hi, I think it's a Panhard et Levassor, can't find a pic, probably the Aerodynamic Sedan from 1934?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:34:16 AM by Paul Jaray »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »
You're almost there.
Panhard is right (I didn't check but I don't think it was still Panhard & Levassor then).
Aerodynamic sedan is right.
The year is wrong.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »
You are right...it was just a Panhard...i just saw the old logo on the grille  ;)
About the year....with no book-references I can only shoot in the dark...1924?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »
I have it dated from 1926 somewhere (the most reliable) and ca. 1929 elsewhere.
The point is yours anyhow. Well done.

Offline Joćo

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 881
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Whaddyacallit #90-SOLVED- 1926 Panhard Aerodynamic Sedan
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:02:55 AM »
And built by Belvalette :

Offline Voisin

• Puzzle Points 13
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Whaddyacallit #90-SOLVED- 1926 Panhard Aerodynamic Sedan
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
It may have been built by Belvalette, but it was designed by Louis de Monge, who baptised it the sousmarin (submarine). He built a Voisin C3 with exactly the same body.