Author Topic: Solved: Wendax 155 - Lloyd "Goggomobil Jagdwagen"  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2339
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wendax 155
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
Well. it is not that bad. It is just that one of those three names is not really involved, the other ones are.

Offline pguillem

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 527
  • Designer
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
BTW I discovered the Jagdwagen.  You make my day !
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:02:05 PM by pguillem »

Offline pguillem

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 527
  • Designer
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »
Well. it is not that bad. It is just that one of those three names is not really involved, the other ones are.

Depending on what you read. We'll share it soon.

Offline DeAutogids

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 204
  • This text is just for you!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • dAuto.nl
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 06:07:09 AM »
Now I lock it for you, DeAutogids. You have identified the car, but there is a muddle of names (as in the source). So we better separate truth from legend. Let's call this car Jagdwagen, although perhaps this is a legend already.  Who built it? What is the base?

Thanks for your sportsmanship, pguillem. Although, DeAutogids is right, I didn't lock it.
Well, I understand that one the basis of a Goggomobil T250 (as from the chassis plate), presumably a "spare", either the Lloyd factory or at Glas itself build this body on it. Even the Jagdwagen, as you pointed out, might be the stuff of legends.

Offline DeAutogids

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 204
    • dAuto.nl
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »
When I read a bit further, there is a car called the AWS Shopper.
Apparently, the puzzle car is simply the prototype to what became the AWS Shopper. Which was sold as Jagdwagen as well (Version J)

AWS was started by Lloyd-Replacement parts manufacturer Bädeker and ex-Borgward-dealer Walter Schätzle. This Schätzle guy made replacement body panels for Borgward. He had the idea to make a kind of a modular car.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:43:54 AM by DeAutogids »

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2339
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:28 AM »
Yes, the base chassis is from a Goggomobil T250. And the legend goes it was built at Lloyd Motoren Werke, who took over the spare parts business for Goggomobil by 1975. That time would fit the colour and the rear lights. BMW was not involved at all. The BMW emblems were probably attached by the American dealer right now, as you can see that they weren't there when the car was still in Germany. The name Jagdwagen is more a body type description than a model designation.

Offline DeAutogids

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 204
    • dAuto.nl
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »
I can make up from a Goggo site that the owner there things it is a AWS prototype.

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2339
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
When I read a bit further, there is a car called the AWS Shopper.
Apparently, the puzzle car is simply the prototype to what became the AWS Shopper. Which was sold as Jagdwagen as well (Version J)

AWS was started by Lloyd-Replacement parts manufacturer Bädeker and ex-Borgward-dealer Walter Schätzle. This Schätzle guy made replacement body panels for Borgward. He had the idea to make a kind of a modular car.

This car is definitely not the AWS Shopper prototype. The AWS Shopper had a totally different body layout with aluminum profiles connecting flat coated sheet metal parts. This car seems to have a fibreglass body.
I have attached some pictures of a pre-series AWS Shopper and the AWS Shopper Jagdwagen. I remember having seen a picture of the very first AWS Shopper prototype having a kind of tubular frame instead of the rectangular aluminum profiles and using Lloyd 600 wheels (and engine?).

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »
for hunting turtles...

According to the Glas book this can't be a prototype for any of the AWS (= Automobile Walter Schätzle) Shopper models. It was already developed by Walter Schätzle in 1970. The take over of the Goggo tools and parts was already finished in 1969 and AWS went bust in 1974...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:23:19 AM by Allemano »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Solved: Wendax 155 - Lloyd "Goggomobil Jagdwagen"
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »
A picture of the AWS prototype Wendax referred to:

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2339
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:54 AM »
Thank you, Allemano. That's exactly the one I meant.

Offline pguillem

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 527
  • Designer
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
And now, for the funny story :

eBay Insanity: Certifiably Goggomobil Edition
By Alex Kierstein, on April 26th, 2011

Orange and angular; tiny and likely very, very slow; associated with two obscure brands and one very well-known one. It’s trippier than ‘Tussin and leaves a trail of blue smoke. VW Thing owners will puff out their chests and pat the fenders, proud that theirs is no longer the ugliest cheapo German car on the block. As they say in Bavaria, “bilden Sie meine eine BMW-Lloyd-Goggomobil jagdwagen!”

As stated in the eBay ad, BMW did indeed buy Glas and thus their small-car lines as well, which included the Lloyd, Hansa, Borgward, and Goliath intellectual property. Apparently the newest BMW employees at the Glas plant had a sense of humor, affixing a custom fiberglass jagdwagen (hunting car) body of sorts to a spare Goggomobil chassis, and then gluing a BMW roundel to the comical nose. I don’t think BMW was too upset about it, because they were too busy assembling coffins for the Glas brands to notice a funny little one-off most likely used as a factory parts-getter (not unlike MG’s Old Speckled Hen, actually, except much much uglier).

Seeing as how it doesn’t look significantly different than a Taylor-Dunn factory cart, I’m not sure this is the sort of wild attention-attracting thing that’s “perfect to advertise your small business!” with, as pretty much every eBay seller of some stupid and impractical vehicle will optimistically bleat. But if you love microcars, Goggomobils in particular, seek a physician’s help immediately after bidding on this.

eBay Motors

Offline Wendax

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2339
  • e^^(i*pi)+1=0
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
... and if it weren't for the heroic AutoPuzzlers seeking the true story, everybody else would use this text as a serious source.