Author Topic: Whaddyacallit #369 - Custom car shot in front of Wyman Tarwater's body shop in Guin, AL  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine

Ever seen this ? I didn't, so I have no name or informations about this custom.

If you did, please respond below and let us know who build the car posted here, and on what basis. Some evidence will be required, but this is a 2 points puzzle.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer. You can do so by clicking here.
Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:28:05 PM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Whaddyacallit #369
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:12:28 AM »
Now that is some serious overhang!
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline knightfan26917

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 7
  • Mr. Monte Carlo/Road Trip
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Cort's Cars
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »
Holy crimeny!

NO idea what it is ... but, my first thought upon seeing it:
'Look ... it's an early concept of the Batmobile!'

LOL!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's hard to slow this swinger down" ... Eric Heatherly ... 'Flowers On The Wall'

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
Expertise this...

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
Have fun, pros.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:15:11 AM »
Found the pic; no name.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:37:45 AM »
I am afraid it will remain without one.
And yet, we've seen miracles...

Online Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1423
  • Ver 2.0
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
They called Finned Thing. and is a mess of different makes parts. That's what I've found so far.
Same picture

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
Oguerrerob, I thought we would never find anything about this one, but you prove me wrong. Of course it can be only a nickname given by the website where you found it, but you'll get one point for this anyway, if you have any kind of evidence of this (a screen capture will do).

Locked for you 72 hours for more accurate information if it exists, and another point.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
Wow!

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
Ray, if you check the name of the pic, you should have it as well.
I had this pic as well, but (as you know) the source gives no name at all, but the pic is named "finnedthing_resized"

Online Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1423
  • Ver 2.0
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »
This is what I've found. This well known website takes you to another well known website.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:33:30 AM by Wendax »

Online Oguerrerob

• Master
  • Puzzle Points 1423
  • Ver 2.0
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
Another source called Wyman Tarwater bodyshop Guin Alabama USA

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
You
are
amazing!
 ;)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
He sure is. The caption only says that it's photographed in front of this body shop, but I think that we can assume that they built it. Whaddyasay?

2 point for Oguerrerob, and I'll name it this: Custom car shot in front of Wyman Tarwater's body shop in Guin, AL if everyone agrees.

By the way: according to a website called My life" there is still a Wyman Tarwater living in Guin, Alabama, and he his supposed to be 99. Sweet home, Alabama...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:22:11 PM by Ray B. »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
But it was only an optimistic guess, becausse, according to the County news, Wyman passed away in 2008, aged 97.

Wyman Milton Tarwater, age 97, of Guin, Alabama, passed away Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at his residence.

He was born in Brilliant, Alabama., to the late Walter and Josephine Little Tarwater and was married to the late Addie Lou Tarwater. He had lived in Guin most of his life.
He is survived by 6 daughters, Beverly Haney of Guin, AL., Betty Rawls of Hamilton, AL., Becky Hubbert of Hubbertville, AL., Dorothy Zuber of Guin, AL., Janice Ingle of Winfield, AL., and Belinda Tarwater of Guin, AL.; 2 sons, Billy Jo Tarwater and James Tarwater, both of Guin, AL.; 1 sister, Lillian Meherg of Winfield, AL.; 32 grandchildren; and 49 great and great-great grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Walter and Josephine Little Tarwater; his wife, Addie Lou Tarwater; 2 daughters, Shelby Tuckey and Patsy Tarwater; 1 son Milton Tarwater; 2 sisters, Catherine Parker and Gertrude Tarwater; and 2 brothers, Buck Tarwater and Lewis Tarwater.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
Sorry to have forgotten this one for so long. 2 points added to Oguerrerob's count as promised. This topic is moved to the solved section.

We have a very strong feeling that it could be captioned "Wyman Tarwater Special" or something like that.
But, we being scientists here at Autopuzzles rarely take anything for granted without a whole passel of proofs, you see.
So it wil stay captione like this in the meantime.

Offline RattleSnake

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Name That Car!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Am going to open this old thread back open
 I ran across this site looking for a old car of my Grand Father

My grandpa is the one that built the car above and he is sitting in the garage in the chair as you can see him and that's my uncle Billy joe sitting in the finned thing  I would say sometime in the late 1959 to 1962
From what mom says it was called Finned Thing.. no one knew what to call it because all of his cars had Very long Fins ..
As you can see the car the finned wing in the back is made from a 1957 to a 1959 Desoto
 where the rear tire is came off a hood I say early 1950's chevy truck hood it also has a 1950's to 56  chevy hood front fenders
the hood is off a Corvette and the front is off between a 50 to 57 chevy and bumper the back bumper I have no clue until I go my uncle and ask him The winshield is a old war war 2 fighter jet I would say around 1940's  the motor he had in it was a 341 Hemi v8 - 4 barrel  295 hp.... and the doors he blowed torched them into shape - My grandpa has built so many cars its no telling on the count I know it was 100's I miss him a lot watching him building the cars from Junk Parts The newspaper I posted its a 1952 b Bomber 600 gallon gas tank he turned into a car with all chevy caddy buick ford and many other types of car parts it has a Volkswagen frame with a vw engine and the best part about papa Cars is every single one of them didn't have not one screw holding it together it all was pop riveted Together and the wings %90 of them has was hand made by his self The shot is from Guin alabama just one of his many shops he head this was one sitting 200 feet from the railroad track ..  Enjoy the Newspaper Reading and a couple more shots of his  other car.. love ya Papa R.I.P  From his grandson Clayton  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:57:26 PM by RattleSnake »

Offline Carnut

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 423
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Fascinating!
Thanks.
Interests in life:  Cars, cars, cars - oh and ..er..cars

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
Thank you so much for these info & pics!