Author Topic: SOLVED - What car #595 - 1970s Hathaway Roadster prototype  (Read 1407 times)

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
SOLVED - What car #595 - 1970s Hathaway Roadster prototype
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
Recognize this?

Please, respond below and let us know the make and model designation of the car posted here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer. You can do so by clicking here.

Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier.  :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:19:09 PM by @re »
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 335
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: What car #595
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »
Hathaway Hunter

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: What car #595
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
Correct! I had it stored as a Hathaway Roadster, which explains the zero hits my Google search returned... the correct model designation is, obviously, Hunter. Still, I'd thought it would last longer.
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline susanattie

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: SOLVED - What car #595 - 1980 Hathaway Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
I bought  a Hathaway from the Hathaway Motor Company of Santee California in early 1983.  By the fall of 1983, Chuck Hunter had formed the Vintage motor Works in Sonoma California.  By then VMW had bought out HMC and was building Hunters. I think that if the car pictured is from 1980, it must be a Hathaway.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:26:02 AM »
Welcome to Autopuzzles, Susanattie!
Wasn't Vintage Motor Works taken over by HS Engineering in 1988? And what about the British Tripos?
Is it true that You can recognize an MKI from an MKII from the direction lights, that have been moved from their position, aside the grille, in a lower position, to the top of the fenders (like the one pictured here)?

Offline susanattie

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »
Hello Paul,  I had not heard of Tripos or HS Engineering until you mentioned them. When I Googled HS Engineering I found that they were selling the Hathaway F/20 IN 1981 with either a tubular frame or for use on a TR frame. This was news to me and I would like to find out more about them. I met Mark Goyette, who designed the Hathaway in the mid 1970's, at the Hershey car show in the fall of 1982. He never mentioned HS Engineering to me, and I bought my kit through him from the Hathaway Motor Company.

Offline susanattie

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
          I also found that Thomas Wiegand from Germany, bought the molds for the Hathaway in 1996, probably from Tripos.
He currently has the original Hathaway production molds, 2 cars, and various other related items, for sale out of Hannover, Germany.      Thanks.

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
Susanattie,

You are welcome to post outside of this thread.   :o

;)
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline susanattie

• Puzzle Points 0
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »
I have tried to contact @re directly to find out more about the source of this picture, but have not heard back from him yet. This car is definitely not a Hunter or Hathaway Hunter and is not a i980 model. I came across a picture of this same car in my files, and as explained to me by Mark Goyette himself back in 1982,  this is the original prototype model he built in the mid to late 1970's, and took around to various car shows to promote sales of the Hathaway. I hope we can find out more about this from @re

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
Hi there - sorry I haven't got back to you sooner!

I got this picture from the Winter 1980 issue of British car magazine Alternative Cars, and just assumed it was a 1980 model, as it was mentioned in an article about the "Auto Fab '80s" kit car show held at the Long Beach Convention Center in 1980. The article features this picture and this is what's mentioned in the text:

"One car of great interest to English car enthusiasts was the Hathaway Roadster which is a replica of a typical 30's English sports car but like Thoroughbred Tiger is not based on an actual vehicle. What makes the Hathaway unique as far as American kit cars are concerned is that it uses Triumph sports car components and is built on a TR4, 5 or 6 chassis."

That's all I know, unfortunately - and this is another case where an owner of one of the rare cars we use for our puzzles, suddenly turns up at the site asking questions that we sadly do not know the answers to... but it's a nice car! :)

Edit: I've modified the topic header so it's more accurate regarding the car's name.
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
Re: SOLVED - What car #595 - 1970s Hathaway Roadster prototype
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
Here´s another early 1980´s photo: