Author Topic: Whaddyacallit #400 - The Libby streamliner  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Whaddyacallit #400 - The Libby streamliner
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 07:46:20 AM »
Tear Drop car, built by Libby Body Works of Kansas City, Missouri. The Ford Model A engine was in the rear and had Riley two-port head.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:52:02 AM by Paul Jaray »

Offline pnegyesi

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 1174
  • Our Pal
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Motoring Museums' Lighthouse
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »
Built for the Young Advertising Co. All aluminum body. Model A Ford steering, axles. Designed by "Miehl".
There are  Pierce Arrow headlights on the fenders that turned with the wheels,
https://rareandunique.media - Rare&Unique Vehicles magazine
http://magyarjarmu.hu - detailed Hungarian motoring history (Hungarian language)
http://automuseums.info - motoring museums' guide

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
Wow! That car was an almost complete mystery, in in a few hours we have a galore of details. I may have been a little too generous, but I have to give you a point each or eat my hat.
But it's over now.
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
The car and its whole story just made it to the Hemmings blog.
With the same picture as the unretouched one I've posted, but with much better quality.
Do I need to add the link?

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
They have a search engine as well, so, I think you needn't

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
Not a mention to AP..but this article show up after Ray posted it...just coincidence?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
I've posted a comment giving the link to Autopuzzles, but it's not been validated yet.

I think that I had found the picture in a website probably related to Geoff Hacker (if not managed by himself). We've featured in Autopuzzles many cars or streamliners that he found, sometimes bought and restored. We may have done it did at times before him, but most of the time he came first.
So it's time that we pay our respects to the man. More on him on the Hemmings blog.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
My curiosity was genuine...some time AP is mentioned so there is no doubt that they will do if it was the case. I found it strange that it happened just few days later.
I like that site too and G. Hacker is a goldmine of info.  ;)

Offline Geoff Hacker

• Puzzle Points 1
  • AutoPuzzles
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »
Ray, Paul, and Gang...

Thanks for the kind words and common interest in these unusual cars.  I've loved teardrop cars since I was growing up in the 1960's.  My parents were going to school at SIU in Southern Illinois, and were students of Bucky Fuller - who told me as a kid about his Dymaxion.  Talk about being schooled by the right person!  But I was only 6 so it doesn't count.

Since I'm new to this group, I'm not sure if I violate the rules but here's a link to another streamliner I recently found:

link deleted

link deleted

link deleted

Hope you enjoy....

Geoff Hacker
Tampa, Floriida

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:46:22 PM by Ray B. »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
Geoff, the only rule that you broke is the "links forbidden rule ". Like the journalists somehow, the members are required not to reveal their sources. How could they keep finding good puzzles if everyone could find where. Let them find these by themselves if they can.

But we knew your story with this one too: http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=7767.0 and are proud to count you as an Autopuzzler.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 06:31:21 PM »
Hi Geoff!
welcome aboard!
We love streamliners too: http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=7705.0  ;)

RayTheRat

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
The Riley 2-port head was an aftermarket conversion to an F-head setup for Ford Model A and B 4-banger motors.  They had 2 overhead intake valves and 1 exhaust valve (in the block) per cylinder.  They were arguably the most cost-effective head conversions for Model As.  Others made more power, but the Riley was very reliable and less costly than its competitors such as HAL and Frontenac.  Riley also produced a 4-port head, but it wasn't as common as the 2-port.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 03:35:16 AM »
The Riley 2-port head was an aftermarket conversion to an F-head setup for Ford Model A and B 4-banger motors.  They had 2 overhead intake valves and 1 exhaust valve (in the block) per cylinder.  They were arguably the most cost-effective head conversions for Model As.  Others made more power, but the Riley was very reliable and less costly than its competitors such as HAL and Frontenac.  Riley also produced a 4-port head, but it wasn't as common as the 2-port.

The Riley 2-Port was one of our very first puzzles  :)

http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=300.0
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

RayTheRat

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

The Riley 2-Port was one of our very first puzzles  :)

http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=300.0

Yep.  That's a 2-port.  For reference, it's most likely in a 30-31 Model A, going by the grill shell.

RtR