Author Topic: Q267 - solved - Repetti & Montiglio Alfa Romeo 148/149  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Quiller Print
Q267 - solved - Repetti & Montiglio Alfa Romeo 148/149
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »
Which company built this car?

Offline Cabrius

• Puzzle Points 21
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Q267
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
Alfa Romeo?

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:13:53 PM »
Xpertz?

Offline Djetset

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • Car Life
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
I thought that this was the joint military project by Nissan and Alfa Romeo, based around the Arna/Cherry platform (but with 4x4 added) and running gear.  However, your 'not Alfa' remark suggests that I must be wrong, so I'll withdraw gracefully from this one now with my head hung in shame..!
A car is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
Must say I've never heard of that project - do you have any more info or pics? I have a quite different identity down for this car...

Offline Joao Gois

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 90
  • Car freak...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
Well, you have to agree that's an Alfa scudetto and badge... although the wheels are Fiat Panda... I'm guessing it was an endeavour somewhat exterior to Alfa Romeo but no totally disconnected...
Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
OK I'm starting to have thoughts that you might be on to something here. What I have is the name of the coachbuilder and the mechanical basis. I'm going to open the puzzle to pros as well so we can get some closure here!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »
As far as I know the car is called Alfa Romeo 148 and was made by Carozzeria Repetti Montiglio.

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
As far as I know the car is called Alfa Romeo 148 and was made by Carozzeria Repetti Montiglio.

Well I've given Allemano the point because he answered the question - which company built this car?

I'd like to know more about this machine though. My source says it had Panda 4x4 mechanicals

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:50 AM »
I have several pictures of that car on my HD. One of those shows it with an orange Fiat badged recreational vehicle. I don't know for sure, but maybe they share the same base! It still remains obscure to me!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:20:31 AM by Allemano »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:12 AM »
 L’RM 82 prodotto dalla carrozzerria Repetti e Montiglio di Casale Monferrato in provincia di Alessandria; era disponible con diversi allestimenti di blindatura e armamento e derivava dalla Fiat Campagnola a benzina nella versione Hard Top.

The RM82, produced by Carrozzeria Repetti & Montiglio from Casale Monferrato (Alessandria) was available as an armoured vehicle in different versions and derived from the Fiat Campagnola, in its Hardtop version.

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Thanks for the info, PJ. I have seen the book that info comes from but I must admit I still have niggling doubts, as there's no pic of the car in the book. Was it really based on the Campagnola? Why the Alfa scudetto?

It's definitely by Repetti & Montiglio,  but I'm going to keep the puzzle open for further discussion...

Offline als15

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 196
  • Fiat Author
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Società Editrice Il Cammello
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »
I can only add that it definitely isn't the RM82.
Here below is a picture directly form RM82 brochure and, by the way, it's shown with many different equipments, from machine-gun to missile-launcher, but all on the closed body and nowhere is mentioned an open version.

Offline max_pershin

• Puzzle Points 25
  • AutoPuzzles
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 05:49:50 AM »
off-road with Alfa 33 boxer engine

Source: Stefano Agazzi, Head of Alfa Romeo’s Historic Activity Department and Alfa Romeo Museum Curator

Offline Djetset

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 562
  • Car Life
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »
OK Quiller, hands up, we've got you covered, as I think you have now been outpuzzled!

We know that this was built for Alfa Romeo by Repetti & Montiglio, but this is an Alfa project, known as the 148 Magnaghina for military use (as illustrated, taken in the Alfa Storica museum) and 149 for the proposed civilian verision.  The car was Alfa 33 based, using a 1.7-litre Boxer engine.  Does this match the info you have?
A car is for life, not just for Christmas.

Offline Quiller

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 332
    • Quiller Print
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. My source does list this as Panda 4x4 based, but hey, sources can be wrong, and the fact it has an Alfa scudetto and is in the Alfa museum is quite convincing...
I'll move it to 'solved'& Djetset - you have an extra point!

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
Re: Q267 - solved - Repetti & Montiglio Alfa Romeo 148/149
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
The car below is the Panda based car. Maybe it was mixed up with this? Both pics are obviusely on the same page.

Offline 75america

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 293
  • Gran Torino
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Q267 - solved - Repetti & Montiglio Alfa Romeo 148/149
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Are you sure the civilian version was called "149"?

In 1984 a smaller version, the 148 was made, modifying a 33 4x4 model of the time.  This too had a structural frame and bolted bodywork in order to increase its versatility and make it possible to install weapons such as small canons and heavy machine-guns.  A single version was planned with a wheelbase of 210 cm and a length of just 350 cm, front wheel drive with the option of rear wheel drive, 5 (but no reduced) gears.  It has McPherson independent forward suspension while at the rear it has a rigid axle.  The car's on the road weight is 970 kg and it has a capacity of 430 kg, with a maximum tilt of 60%.  Only one model was designed using the boxer 1500cc engine.  The 2 off-road prototypes were known at Alfa as Magnaghina (148) and Magnagona (the 146 see http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=12138.msg117922#msg117922 ) They were presented to military authorities in Rome in 1985, driven by Guido Moroni, the same test driver who had demonstrated the Matta 35 years previously.
A press release was circulated in 1986 regarding the probable production of the 148 as a joint venture with Nissan at the Pratola Serra factory as soon as production of the Arna came to an end.  Rumors went round about Alfa Romeo being sold and the project was shelved.  The 148 was put in the Alfa Romeo Museum where it joined the 146 and they are still there today (although not displayed). 
A civil version derived from the Magnaghina was also made, as well as an SUV version.  But neither went in production.
In the attachment some pics of the SUV version: