Author Topic: Whaddyacallit #407 - Lynne Michell's Corvair Super Monza prototype  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine

Ever seen this ?

If you did, please respond below and let us know the make and model of the car posted here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer. You can do so by clicking here.
Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:40:08 AM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline vdp

• Puzzle Points 15
  • Valued Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Whaddyacallit #407
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
Could this be the proposed Buick version of the Corvair?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »
Nope, as far as I know.

Offline streamliner

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 127
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:54:29 PM »
This looks a lot like it could be a 1960 700 Corvair Coupe that may have been modified by Bill Mitchell to turn it into a prototype Super Monza.  It may have made its debut at the 1960 New York Auto Show.  Could it be?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
Damn'. I can't find my source anymore, but you're about right I guess. If you can tell me who that car was offered to, you'll get another point.
Locked for you one week.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:42:24 AM by Ray B. »

Offline streamliner

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 127
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
The original car is now at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum, the same town where Preston Tucker started his famous car.  The Super Monza Sport Coupe was recovered from the Reynolds Aluminum family, so my guess would be that it was given to one of the Reynolds family members, probably CEO Richard S. Reynolds, Jr., in appreciation for all the aluminum work being done at GM.

Either that or it was given to Larry Shinoda, since the odds are pretty well stacked in his favor for all the other designs he penned...

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »
None of those characters.

Offline streamliner

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 127
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
It was used by Mitchell's daughter as a daily driver for a number of years, so I assume he offered it to her.  From what I could gather, it then was used by the Reynolds family before it was discovered and restored.   

Mitchell may have been referring to it in his interview with Dave Crippen in The Automobile in American Life and Society, The Automotive Oral Histories of The Henry Ford Museum:

Q:      Why did he (Ed Cole) think the Corvair would go?

A:      If it was here today, it'd be better than ever. It was economical, but what killed it, those were the days of dragster cars where you'd take, not just Corvettes, but you'd put big engines in the A bodies—all those Pontiacs and Olds that would rip the stones out of the street. Corvair couldn't do that. I built one for my daughter, and she was afraid to drive it, because you go to shoot across the street, and it wouldn't go, and even the blowers they put on acted like a slip and clutch. I built a couple cuties—the Monza, took 'en to Florida, six carburetors on it, a lot of fun; but the car wasn't timed right. Today, they're good looking. I got one for George Russell [former G.M. vice chairman], he's got it down in Palm Beach. He just told me the other night he's got it all restored. Good styling—is classic, it lasts forever.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
RIght!
He built it for his daughter, Lynne Mitchell.
I got the whole story from a magazine, but I am too lazy to go through the collection and find it back.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: Whaddyacallit #407 - Lynne Michell's Corvair Super Monza prototype
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
Period magazine cover...

[attachimg=1]

You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
Re: Whaddyacallit #407 - Lynne Michell's Corvair Super Monza prototype
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:34 AM »
Puzzle picture restored.