Author Topic: Link Obscura SOLVED: Courageously by Ray B.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Link Obscura SOLVED: Courageously by Ray B.
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:29:57 AM »
Well I wanted a shot at one of these linking puzzles. Never done one of these before so here goes nothing.

1 point for the correct answer.
What links this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprgJERzVrA
and this image:

Offline jotage21

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 335
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Link Obscura
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
The car is a Brewster. Anna Richards Brewster illustrated the book "Alice in Wonderland".

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
The car is a Brewster. Anna Richards Brewster illustrated the book "Alice in Wonderland".

You may be correct, and the rather strange and unfamiliar illustrations in that film may well be hers, but for most of us the true illustrator of Alice in Wonderland was Sir John Tenniel.
Oh, and at least half the characters introduced in that film are "Through the Looking Glass", not "Wonderland"
But then we now endure the Disney version of the A.A. Milne "Pooh" books, rather than the so much nicer E.H. Shepherd originals, as a result of a commercial deal.

rant over.
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
That's another happy coincidental link, but not the one I'm looking for. I'm after something a bit more obscure....

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 05:31:47 AM »
Is this really too obscure even for the people here at autopuzzles?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:01:15 AM »
Maybe not, just something obvious we haven't thought of.

Like the heart-shaped grille of the Brewster and the Queen of hearts of "Alice in Wonderland"...
Like the 1935 movie "Brewster's millions" (hah, hah) starred Lili Damita who was cast in "Fighting Caravans" with Gary Cooper, who plays the White Knight in "Alice"...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:22:59 AM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »
Don't give up on this..I can't open that link but I will try ...later!

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »
...with Gary Cooper, who plays the White Knight in "Alice"...

Early Brewsters had Knight engines.
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »
Maybe not, just something obvious we haven't thought of.

Like the heart-shaped grille of the Brewster and the Queen of hearts of "Alice in Wonderland"...
Like the 1935 movie "Brewster's millions" (hah, hah) starred Lili Damita who was cast in "Fighting Caravans" with Gary Cooper, who plays the White Knight in "Alice"...

You're almost kinda sorta slightly getting sorta slightly kinda close with your second guess.  ;D

And there seems to be a lot more links than intended, but still not the one that I am after. Mine is more automotive based rather than name based...

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
Here are a couple of other amusing coincidences (although I expect you to dismiss these, too):

“You're the top! You're a Ritz hot toddy. You're the top! You're a Brewster body.” - the song: "You're the Top" by Cole Porter, Brewster owner, from his hit musical "Anything Goes", 1934. Cary Grant sang these very lines in the 1946 film "Night and Day". And Cary Grant plays Mock Turtle in "Alice in Wonderland".

Another wafer-thin connection to Cary Grant: He played "Mortimer Brewster" in the 1944 movie "Arsenic and Old Lace".

Edit: It could, of course, be as simple as the fact that Ford Sterling ("White King") actually played Ned Brewster in the 1926 movie "Miss Brewster's Millions". But it probably isn't...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:15:06 PM by @re »
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »
YES!!! I love wafer-thin connections and you found some terrific ones. I had found the Cole porter song and expected (in vain) a great deal of that find, but I had missed the "Night and Day" and Gary Grant part.
I love the "Arsenic and old laces" too.

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »
 :lmao:

These are great. As you said, none are the link I'm looking for, but they're all brilliantly found.

It's amazing to think that 2 simple things can have so many connections.

To give a hint, take the clues and look at least one 'step' deeper for each, there's a connection there.

To add to the confusion, here's another clue from yet another angle. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_colorization

When all's said and done, I'd like one car name, one film name and one movie star's name that all inter-connect very strongly.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »
Is religiosity the connection?

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (IPA: /ˈdɒdsən/) (27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898), better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll (/ˈkærəl/), was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican and photographer.

Dodgson's family was predominantly northern English, with Irish connections. Conservative and High Church Anglican, most of Dodgson's ancestors were army officers or Church of England clergymen. His great-grandfather, also Charles Dodgson, had risen through the ranks of the church to become a bishop. His grandfather, another Charles, had been an army captain, killed in action in 1803 when his two sons were hardly more than babies. His mother's name was Frances Jane Lutwidge.

And...

The history of J. S. Inskip Inc., Rolls-Royce, and Brewster & Co. are so intertwined, all three firm's histories are included below, starting with the period that Inskip first went to work for Rolls-Royce, in their Manhattan showroom.

John S. Inskip (1885-1961) was named after his grandfather, John S. Inskip (1816-1884), the famous evangelical Methodist preacher and founder of the National Camp Meeting Association for the Promotion of Holiness. He is one of the first evangelists associated with the “tent revival meeting” and was considered to be the Billy Graham of his time. Inskip wrote a number of books and pamphlets and has been the subject of a number of books.

Aside from that little tidbit, the younger Inskip's personal history is unknown, and remains a mystery. All that is known is that he entered the automobile business as a salesman for Locomobile's New York City distributor sometime in the late teens. From there he went to work at Rolls-Royce's posh Eighth Avenue and 58th Street showroom.

In 1925 Rolls-Royce and Brewster executives entered into negotiations which resulted in the purchase of Brewster in January of 1926. Rolls-Royce of America paid $202,000 in cash to the Brewster family, assumed a $1,400,000 in outstanding 5% bonds and further guaranteed the principle and interest on a 7% $400,000 seven-ten-year note owed by Brewster.  In return, William Brewster, was given a seat on the Rolls-Royce board and was appointed a vice-president of the Springfield manufacturer. He retired two years later in 1927, but remained a director until 1930. Brewster’s Fifth Avenue showroom was closed, as Rolls-Royce already had a beautiful showroom Eighth Avenue and 58th Street which was run by John S. Inskip, a former Locomobile salesman. Robert W. Schuette’s small 236 W. 5th St. Rolls-Royce distributorship was also absorbed by Rolls-Royce of America at the same time.

You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 02:33:15 AM »
OK, making this one step easier to solve as it seems to have been too hard before:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025520/

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029082/

and

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/jbburn/Bill%20Young/

Perhaps this will work.

Good luck!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:16:21 AM »
The trouble is that the video we should link the Brewster to has been removed from YouTube.

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »
The trouble is that the video we should link the Brewster to has been removed from YouTube.
Correct, but the first link in this last post is a replacement for that - sorry, should've mentioned that - and actually provides a clearer link.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »
I am afraid that, the more clue you give, the more obscure this gers... If I read you well, we now have to link the car with the 1934 film "Moulin Rouge".

"Moulin Rouge" is quoted in a 1943 short film called "The voice that thrilled the world", about the history of sound in the movies. That voice is obviously Al Jolson's in "The Jazz Singer", a film of which a clip is shown in "The Voice..."

Al Jolson was a known enthousiast of the Brewster, and he owned several of them. The car shown is possibly his.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:02:23 AM by Ray B. »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
I am afraid that, the more clue you give, the more obscure this gers... If I read you well, we now have to link the car with the 1934 film "Moulin Rouge".

"Moulin Rouge" is quoted in a 1943 short film called "The voice that thrilled the world", about the history of sound in the movies. That voice is obviously Al Jolson's in "The Jazz Singer", a film of which a clip is shown in "The Voice..."

Al Jolson was a known enthousiast of the Brewster, and he owned several of them. The car shown is possibly his.
I think I may have let this puzzle go awry into obscurity by my own fault... There is a car I'm after - not the one in the image - that was owned by a movie star from one of the two linked movies, and the car itself starred in quite a lot of movies as well, the most famous of which is the other of the two movies. The one-off car I'm after is now prominently on display at a very famous museum.
Out of this information I want the car's name, the movie name (which I've given already) and the movie star's name (which I've just about given).

I don't actually know the Bill Young connection of the third link, but I hope that the above information clears some things up? Enough for someone to do some digging I would say.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 03:47:50 AM »
All right. You may have been quite confusing but here it is:
The car is a 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Town Car, body by Brewster (wich links it to the Brewster in your first post), actually on display in the Nethercutt collection.
The car's owner was Constance Bennett (who played in Moulin Rouge), and regularly rented it to the studios.
For example it appears in the movie "The King and the Chorus Girl".

The strange thing is that all car related sources says that this is a film with Carole Lombard, but she doesn't play in this one. It's Joan Blondell instead.
And can you explain where is the connection with "Alice in Wonderland" from your first post? Even with the answer I still don't get it, unless this is Edward Everett Horton, the Mad Hatter of Alice's 1933 version, who also plays in "The king and the Chorus girl"...
Obscura indeed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:33:19 AM by Ray B. »

Offline DHoffmann

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 87
  • On holiday
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
All right. You may have been quite confusing but here it is:
The car is a 1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Town Car, body by Brewster (wich links it to the Brewster in your first post), actually on display in the Nethercutt collection.
The car's owner was Constance Bennett (who played in Moulin Rouge), and regularly rented it to the studios.
For example it appears in the movie "The King and the Chorus Girl".

The strange thing is that all car related sources says that this is a film with Carole Lombard, but she doesn't play in this one. It's Joan Blondell instead.
And can you explain where is the connection with "Alice in Wonderland" from your first post? Even with the answer I still don't get it, unless this is Edward Everett Horton, the Mad Hatter of Alice's 1933 version, who also plays in "The king and the Chorus girl"...
Obscura indeed.

Oh thank god you got it, I thought I'd made it so confusing that even I myself would forget it at some point.  ;D

You did indeed discover the link to Alice in Wonderland, which led to The King and the Chorus Girl. Let's say I won't be making another one of these puzzles anytime soon.  ;D