Author Topic: Even More Cars and Tunes - Solved by Ray B., neilshous and max  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Octavia

• Puzzle Points 34
  • Doc Ock
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Even More Cars and Tunes
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
OoooooooooK

car #1 Plymouth Barracuda group #2 Angot Wat

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
No...

Clue: the picture of the artist is approximately the same vintage as that car.
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:52 AM »
I doubt it very much, but I have to check.
Car #2 being a Ford Skyliner, could Artist #10 be Charlie Barnet's Orchestra (with a singer i haven't identified)? He wrote "Skyliner".
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:57 AM »
I doubt it very much, but I have to check.
Car #2 being a Ford Skyliner, could Artist #10 be Charlie Barnet's Orchestra (with a singer i haven't identified)? He wrote "Skyliner".

No. But you are working very hard at this puzzle, and have earned a clue. The pairing of this colorful car and associated artist are locked for you until this time tomorrow.

The car you have identified is almost identical to an example owned by the artist, who so loved the car, she (another clue) proceeded to write a song about a certain aspect of it's appearance - but mentions no car. Her Ford was customized to reflect her profession, and her stage name.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the clue. It didn't get me nowhere yet, but thanks anyway. Those puzzles maybe require a much wider music culture than I have I am afraid.

Question: are car #1 and car #9 named by their make or model name in the corresponding songs, or not?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Car #1, yes.

# 9 features more than one car, from different makes, and the title of the song implies the same.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:37:28 PM by Otto Puzzell »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2009, 04:08:54 AM »
Thanks for the clue. It didn't get me nowhere yet, but thanks anyway. Those puzzles maybe require a much wider music culture than I have I am afraid.

Granted, this artist is not as well-known as some of the others. However, she did score some top-10 hits on the country charts, and made it into the top 100 on the pop charts in the US, as well. Unusual for a woman (at least, in the '50's and '60's), she also was a record producer, and worked the mixer board to great effect for a well-known recording trio of the era. That group had a handful of top-10 hits, including a couple of number 1 hits. At least one of there songs was covered by another artist in the UK, where it was a hit. Like most music that was carefully crafted, tasteful and and restrained, their recordings - which resonated with fans of doo-wop, R&B and mainstream pop - fell out of favor when the Moptops and their ilk came on the scene. The drafting of 1/3 of the trio into the armed forces (indeed - the only member who could have been drafted) sealed their fate.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2009, 04:58:30 AM »
Thanks. Let's dig that.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
Car #2, a 1957 Ford Skyliner, goes with Tuner #10, Bonnie Guitar (who  produced The Fleetwoods from another puzzle). They could be linked, I'd say, by her 1959 song "Candy Apple Red". I couln't find the song's lyrics or mp3, but "candy apple red" is the name of a color frequently used on custom cars.

And all the time I was searching for the other girl.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:28:25 PM by Ray B. »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
You have done it! I have the lyrics at home (not much of a song, really - I may have an audio file as well). It's been covered by other artists.

I'll update the first page of the post from home, to.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »
Yes, but I have little hope for the last two pairs.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
Just look at #9. What, collectively, do you see in that picture?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:34 AM »
I see a combo of young americans, and I'd say californians. One of them wears a striped shirt so I would even have said the Beach Boys if their hairdo had matched better.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2009, 04:05:37 AM »
I see a combo of young americans, and I'd say californians. One of them wears a striped shirt so I would even have said the Beach Boys if their hairdo had matched better.

They are not the Beach Boys, but one of them WAS a Beach Boy, both before and long after this picture was taken. And to save a journey down a dead-end, it's not Glen Campbell.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »
Well, following your clue, I have "The Lost Beach Boy" David Marks and the Marksmen (Tunes# 2) and I guess that the link is their song  "Kustom Kar Show", for Car #9.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:27:29 AM by Ray B. »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2009, 05:03:12 AM »
You are the master!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:10 AM »
Your last answer made that one easy.
About the last one, are we entitled to ask:
- if Barracuda is part of the song's name, or only mentioned in the lyrics?
- in the song, is it referred to as the car, or the fish, or whatever.
- Did the girl # 7 write the song, or did she just sing it?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2009, 05:31:24 AM »
A cavalcade of clues:

Our last unidentified artist (who liked her men short-tempered) appeared, along with a well-known singer/actor in a movie about cars, that is rather well-known by you Ray, I suspect. The last unidentified song was featured in that movie, but as an instrumental by another group.

It was was a song about a car, not a fish.

She didn't write it.

Most of the songs in this film were written or co-written by a famous singer who shared his surname with the star of this film.

And here's another clue, to confuse (or clarify) things further, she also had a minor hit with a vocal version of a movie theme  that was a much bigger seller when recorded as an instrumental by another group of musicians.   

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2009, 06:02:53 AM »
My God! You do know music and musicians!
All I do is remembering some stuff, and sleuthing.

Alright. Let's get to work, Marlowe.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2009, 06:10:08 AM »
Car #2, a 1957 Ford Skyliner, goes with Tuner #10, Bonnie Guitar (who  produced The Fleetwoods from another puzzle). They could be linked, I'd say, by her 1959 song "Candy Apple Red". I couln't find the song's lyrics or mp3, but "candy apple red" is the name of a color frequently used on custom cars.

And all the time I was searching for the other girl.

Lyrics:

Candy apple red, red lips
Candy apple kisses too
And I have the lips of a fool
I kissed you

Sweet, sweet with lies they told
And I had the mind of a fool
I believed

Candy apple red has made it blue
Babe, nearly all the things you said
I believed in you

Hypnotize me, broke the rules
New color caramel
Candy apple red and
The blue, blue heart of a fool

The story:

http://archives.nodepression.com/2007/01/womans-work/

The song (though the on-screen text credits "Gene and the Pearls", every song this guy uploads says the same thing.I'm 90% sure this is Bonnie singing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1YyYdAmT0

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
Thanks. Fine article and site.

I've got the last one:
The Girl  #7 is Joanie Sommers. The movie is "The Lively Set", whose male star is James Darren. The song is "Boss Barracuda", as Car #1, written by Bobby Darin (ha-ha) but performed here by the Surfaris.
I didn't find evidence on Imdb that Bobby Darin appeared in the film, I couldn't find the lyrics either, but everything else fits.

I had of course studied photos of the Surfaris, having found their connection with that song, in vain (same with The Catalinas, who played it too). And Otto is right, I had already used a pic from "The Lively Set" in a former puzzle: http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=4124.0 Guess which one.

Here is an image from "The Lively Set". Joanie Sommers is NOT the longhaired bombshell (Pamela Tiffin).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:20:29 AM by Ray B. »

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2009, 07:29:57 AM »
It seems I lost the second place...

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »
Thanks. Fine article and site.

I've got the last one:
The Girl  #7 is Joanie Sommers. The movie is "The Lively Set", whose male star is James Darren. The song is "Boss Barracuda", as Car #1, written by Bobby Darin (ha-ha) but performed here by the Surfaris.
I didn't find evidence on Imdb that Bobby Darin appeared in the film, I couldn't find the lyrics either, but everything else fits.

I had of course studied photos of the Surfaris, having found their connection with that song, in vain (same with The Catalinas, who played it too). And Otto is right, I had already used a pic from "The Lively Set" in a former puzzle: http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/index.php?topic=4124.0 Guess which one.

Here is an image from "The Lively Set". Joanie Sommers is NOT the longhaired bombshell (Pamela Tiffin).

Voila! You make Sherlock Holmes look like the Fourth Stooge.   ;D

(And I never said Bobby Darin appeared in "The Lively Set".) The other movie-related song Joanie had a B-side hit with was the theme from "A Summer Place". It was the flip side of her better-known "Johnny Get Angry". As a matter of fact, I heard it for the first time this past Saturday morning, while listening to an oldies radio show. Previously, I had only heard the version (very different lyrics) sung by Mole-Man on "The Simpsons".

I have a recording of "Boss Barracuda" somewhere in my CD's - by another artist. I'll dig it up and send you an MP3.

I'll tally up the points soon.

Edit: Sorry, I don't have "Boss Barracuda" - I have "Bite Bite Barracuda" by Buddy Randell & The Knickerbockers. Still happy to send a copy, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:49:49 AM by Otto Puzzell »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »

(And I never said Bobby Darin appeared in "The Lively Set".)
Yes, sorry, I got mixed-up by this: "... appeared, along with a well-known singer/actor in a movie about cars..." Who is he? I saw no one in the cast who fitted this, but maybe my knowledge is too restricted.

About the mp3. Thanks, if you think it's worth the trouble. Always interesting. I found Terry Stafford nothing much, but liked Bonnie Guitar's song, and the Fleetwoods as well.