Author Topic: Towns and cars Solved by DynaMike and Arunas  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Towns and cars Solved by DynaMike and Arunas
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
Here is my version of the cars and towns thread.
There are five cars and five images of the towns/cities where they were built.
Identify them and pair them off in the usual way
First cars 1,2 &3
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:20:59 AM by Allan L »
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Towns and cars
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
Now towns 1,2 & 3
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:21:29 AM by Allan L »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
Cars 4 & 5
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:22:03 AM by Allan L »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »
and Towns 4 & 5
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:22:39 AM by Allan L »

Offline DynaMike

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 230
  • Amsterdam, cool.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
Car #4 is a Star. The Star Motor Company was located in Wolverhampton. But I'm not sure which town pic shows this. My guess would be #5...

And still, Car #1 looks to me like a Lea Francis 12/9, and they started in Lower Ford Street in Coventry, moved in the thirties to Much Park Street, still in Coventry. Town #1 shows the Coventry Cathedral.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:54:29 AM by DynaMike »

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
  • Nulla tenaci invia est via
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • https://www.cartefacts.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
What if I know the car #5 and the city, but don't know the picture.. Could I ask if it is picture #1 ?

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »
Car #4 is a Star. The Star Motor Company was located in Wolverhampton. But I'm not sure which town pic shows this. My guess would be #5...

And still, Car #1 looks to me like a Lea Francis 12/9, and they started in Lower Ford Street in Coventry, moved in the thirties to Much Park Street, still in Coventry. Town #1 shows the Coventry Cathedral.

I'll assume you want the  Star/Wolverhampton guess to be taken as an answer: as it is right, I will say that the photo is Wightwick Manor in the Wolverhampton outskirts.

Your history of Lea-Francis is impeccable, and yes it really does look like a 12.9 h.p.
But it isn't!
Trust me, I have a Lea-Francis 12.9 Sports:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:24:41 AM by Allan L »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
What if I know the car #5 and the city, but don't know the picture.. Could I ask if it is picture #1 ?
If you tell me what you think car 5 is and what you think town/city 1 is, I will tell you if you are right.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
If you tell me what you think car 5 is and what you think town/city 1 is, I will tell you if you are right.

Let's say I know that one these cities must be Southport. Am I right? Is #1 City - Southport ?

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
No 1 is not Southport

Offline DynaMike

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 230
  • Amsterdam, cool.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »
Thanks, Allan. That is a very nice picture of your Lee/Lea Francis. I see it's different from car #1 indeed, though you can imagine that a foreigner (who had never before a chance to see a Lea Francis in real life) easily can get confused...

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »
This Lea-Francis saloon is more what you had in mind, and the resemblance is there I agree.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »
#4 - is Southport? (Is it Southport one of the cities at all ? I suppose it must be, but...

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:58 AM »
so, Arunas, the names of your pair of car and town are . . . . ?

Offline DynaMike

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 230
  • Amsterdam, cool.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
I'll try again to link car #1 to town #1... The car seems to be a Autovia Special Saloon (bodied by Arthur Mulliner) and the town is still Coventry.

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:47 AM »
I'll try again to link car #1 to town #1... The car seems to be a Autovia Special Saloon (bodied by Arthur Mulliner) and the town is still Coventry.

There you are, persistance pays off!
As it happens, apart from the similarity in appearance to the 1938/9 Lea-Francis, Autovia shared a designer with Lea-Francis, although not that Lea-Francis.
Charles van Eugen was the designer of the Vintage Lea-Francis cars, but left to join Autovia when it was set up as a separate company by the Riley co.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:01 AM »
Hey Allan! Since I do not want someone to steal my potential points I would like to ask a question if a pair 3(car)  -  2(place) is correct.. If the answer is YES, then I am ready to provide my detailed answer! Thank You!

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
Hey Allan! Since I do not want someone to steal my potential points I would like to ask a question if a pair 3(car)  -  2(place) is correct.. If the answer is YES, then I am ready to provide my detailed answer! Thank You!
I'll say yes, and ask you to give details today please!

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »
I'll say yes, and ask you to give details today please!

The place in the 2 picture is Millenium Bridge (London) while St Paul's Catherdal could be also seen. The car in the 3rd picture is 1934 Talbot 110 DHC James Young.. Talbot started in London as far as I know.... Is it accurate enough?  ;)

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 01:37:11 PM »
The place in the 2 picture is Millenium Bridge (London) while St Paul's Catherdal could be also seen. The car in the 3rd picture is 1934 Talbot 110 DHC James Young.. Talbot started in London as far as I know.... Is it accurate enough?  ;)
Quite right and well done.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »
Quite right and well done.

Two points for this?  ;)

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »
Of course, but like the others, I'll award the points when this is finished!

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
Of course, but like the others, I'll award the points when this is finished!

Perfect!

And one more question: Could You tell me if I am thinking the right way that 3rd picture of place is related to 5th car?  :-\

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:36:21 PM by Arunas »

Offline Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 03:02:54 PM »
And one more question: Could You tell me if I am thinking the right way that 3rd picture of place is related to 5th car?  :-\

You have been quite close already and since only two of each are left, I think that would be too great a help.

Offline Arunas

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 652
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »

You have been quite close already and since only two of each are left, I think that would be too great a help.

Ok.. What if I say the correct car but wrong place? Someone comes without even knowing the car says the right answer because it is obvious 1/2 :D Please tell me what should I do..