Author Topic: Solved: JJ #20 Pinguin Kleinwagen  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ImpishGrin

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 303
  • Afficionado Anorak
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Solved: JJ #20 Pinguin Kleinwagen
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
Oh, the sauerkraut- lederhose joke was not too funny, but the following:

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale?

is the German translation of the famous line

My hovercraft is full of eels

from the Monty Python sketch "Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NmdpO_7Fo

It is indeed :)
Just as Pinguin's "Würdest Du bitte heftig meinen Popo streicheln?" which means more or less "Could you please fondle my bum?" and was supposed to mean 'Could you direct me to the station?" ;)
Oh, BTW: My nipples explode with delight!
It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
The problem is mainly a misunderstanding and mistakable use of idioms and terms. For instance if you would translate the English four letter word "motherf...." literally to German it would be an almost inexcusable affront. In English it's obviousely not that grieving as far as I know!

To communicate in English is relatively easy to learn, but talking/writing like a native speaker takes a very long time.

That may be the case in US English, but in British English it is still considered highly offensive.

The converse applies to "You b*ggers" which in Britain and Australia is almost equivalent to saying "You fellas" but I am told is taken literally by Americans who are then highly offended
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline jimjarron

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 83
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Jim Jarron's Motoring Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »
The converse applies to "You b*ggers" which in Britain and Australia is almost equivalent to saying "You fellas" but I am told is taken literally by Americans who are then highly offended
Yes, that is a word that causes problems in America.  I recall hearing in a radio interview about one well known Australian soap opera a fair few years back that contained the line "It hurts like bu**ery", meaning of course that it hurts a lot.  When the episode went to air in the UK there were no adverse comments, but in the US it never made it to air.  Apparently it was taken to mean that it hurt just like the last time he was sodomised, and the conversation when it was being considered for broadcast went along the following lines:
"He said WHAT?"
"He said 'It hurts like bu**ery'"
"He can't say that!"
"Why not, it's just like saying 'It hurts like hell'"

As far as I remember from the radio interview, the words "It hurts like hell" had to be substituted in the American version.

Offline barrett

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 372
  • Don't delete me
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
What a strange thread this is!
Anyway, here's a picture of an actual completed Pinguin, as we've only seen models so far