Author Topic: Puzzle #815 - Solved! 1938 Lancia Astura Mille Miglia  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Puzzle #815 - Solved! 1938 Lancia Astura Mille Miglia
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »

1938 Lancia Astura Mille Miglia

Know what it is?

Please, respond below and let us know the make and model designation of the car posted here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer.  You can do so by clicking here.

Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier. :D

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:01:48 AM by Oguerrerob »
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline jimjarron

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 83
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Jim Jarron's Motoring Pages
Re: Puzzle #815
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:09:29 AM »
Veritas Scorpion?

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:34:47 AM »
Not a Veritas...

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:05:03 AM »
Moved

Online Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »
1938 Lancia Astura Spyder by Pinin Farina
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
Yep

Offline Joao Gois

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 90
  • Car freak...
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Puzzle #815 - Solved! 1938 Lancia Astura Mille Miglia
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
I'm sorry but that's not correct. That's a 1939 Astura Colli Spider, nothing to do with Pininfarina!

"From its inception the Astura was sold as a luxury touring car, but that didn’t stop ambitious customers from converting some of the 2900 examples into a race cars. The relaxed rules of the Mille Miglia meant that virtually anything with four wheels could contest the grueling race.
The first Asturas appeared at the Mille Miglia in 1933 and placed 40th overall. This was followed by an attempt in 1934 which Mario Nardilli and Carlo Pintacuda placed a remarkable 10th place. Not until 1940 did another Astura make an appearance at the great race with our feature red spider.
Prepared with a special body from Carrozeria Colli, this Lancia was prepared for Scuderia Ambrosiana. The engine was tuned with a new cylinder head to reach 100bhp. Luigi Villoresi was assigned to drive the car, but it suffered a road accident and did not finish.
The Colli Spider was later picked up by Franco Cortese. After some success, he then passed it on to English driver John Gordon. He entered it in the 1948 and 1949 Mille Miglias to limited success.
After it’s racing career was over, the Swiss police impounded the car for smuggling between Switzerland and Italy. It was found stored by Luciano Nicolis who restored the car. It is now retained by the Luciano Nicolis Museum where it is on permanent display.

Story by Richard Owen in http://www.supercars.net/cars/3164.html, 09/05/2008."
Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
I have many times found that site to be giving out all but correct information, but Mr. Owen might have got decent sources here.
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline Allemano

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 821
  • almost retired
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »
Agree with Joao Gois. There's no PF badge nor it has that certain Pininfarina touch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:01:48 PM by Allemano »

Online Allan L

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 413
  • Forum Host in Vintage!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 02:47:17 AM »
OK so my source was wrong about the coachbuilder, but not the main point that it's an unlikely-looking Lancia Astura. I can't remember where I got the Pinin Farina bit from.

I don't rely on the internet for my answers to these puzzles, preferring memory and books. Memory can be a fickle thing, and books can be wrong.
I have seen so much incorrect stuff on the internet that I only use it as a back-up, and to provide photos that I haven't got.

Just in case you are one of those who believes all the internet sources implicitly, I commend you to look at the Wikipedia entry for something that you are actually and professionally an expert in: unless you wrote it yourself, it will not accord with your beliefs.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:46:50 AM by Allan L »
Opinionated but sometimes wrong

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:51:02 AM »
Well stated.

Offline Joao Gois

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 90
  • Car freak...
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:21 AM »
OK so my source was wrong about the coachbuilder, but not the main point that it's an unlikely-looking Lancia Astura. I can't remember where I got the Pinin Farina bit from.

I don't rely on the internet for my answers to these puzzles, preferring memory and books. Memory can be a fickle thing, and books can be wrong.
I have seen so much incorrect stuff on the internet that I only use it as a back-up, and to provide photos that I haven't got.

Just in case you are one of those who believes all the internet sources implicitly, I commend you to look at the Wikipedia entry for something that you are actually and professionally an expert in: unless you wrote it yourself, it will not accord with your beliefs.

Obviously I'm not believing everything I read on the internet, I try to be as crytical with what I read as possible and always look to confirm it with other more reliable sources. But about this Astura, I'm sure it's THE Colli, i.e., the only one in existance, making it "easier" to confirm.

Nonetheless, I've been more than proved that you can rely as much on your own memory than in any other internet source. You said it youself you didn't know where you brought the Pinin Farina part from.

As for the books, I've found as much misleading information on them as in the internet so for me it's as valid as anyone else. Usually my "truth" will change acording to the largest amount of info I find, ading a good dal of good sense on it.

I just added the link and the quote so that you didn't think I was making it up, that's all  ;)