Author Topic: What it is 117...SOLVED>>>Mako Shark  (Read 1444 times)

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
What it is 117...SOLVED>>>Mako Shark
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »
I expect this one to be really easy:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:28:52 AM by Oguerrerob »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline proscriptus

• Puzzle Points 2
  • Contributor
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: What it is 117
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
Mako Shark I

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
Re: What it is 117
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
That took about 20 hours longer than I expected... ;) ;)
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: What it is 117...SOLVED>>>Mako Shark I
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:54:10 PM »
Well, we could open up rookie puzzles after 5 minutes, vs. 5 days...  ;)
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
I'm just saying, I expected that one to be picked up right away... I have a couple more in the wings that are the same way. Of course, I have proven to be a terrible judge of what will be known right off and what will sit in the Expert section!

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:45:50 PM »
You and me both!
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Motorace

• Puzzle Points 8
Re: What it is 117...SOLVED>>>Mako Shark
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:42:58 AM »
Did you ever hear the story about Bill Mitchell and the paint on this prototype car???

Legend has it that Bill Mitchell (VP Design at GM) caught a Mako Shark on a fishing trip and had it taxidermied/mounted and hung it in his office.  He said it inspired him in the design of this car. 

He told the prototype shop that he wanted the car painted exactly like the mounted & painted fish, with its gradual gradation of coloration from the irridescent blue top to the white bottom.

They thought they did... but Bill didn't agree and told them to strip it and paint it over again.  After another week of intense effort & despite a crushing deadline, Bill again disapproved of the color match and told them to strip and paint the car again.  Faced with the enormous amount of work and the frustration, they came in on the weekend, somehow got into his office and took the shark and repainted it to match the car.

When Bill returned, they told him the car had been repainted, and this time he approved it!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:50:04 AM by Motorace »
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »

When Bill returned, they told him the car had been repainted, and this time he approved it!

Great story.  8)
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Tifosi

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 46
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »

Great story.  8)

And just crazy enough to be true!

Dan
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending..."

Bender B.Rodrigues

Offline Stephen M

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 34
  • Rocket Scientist
    • Car-related musings
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »

Great story.  8)

And just crazy enough to be true!

Dan

That anecdote was included in a Corvette book I read recently, one which seemed to have been very thoroughly researched. So I proclaim it as absolutely true.

It's also mentioned on Wikipedia, not that that should add any significant amount of credibility. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mako_Shark_%28show_car%29

Quote from: Ultra
What possible higher authority could we appeal to than Steppenwolf?