Author Topic: What it is 179...SOLVED>>>The Big Land Yacht  (Read 1272 times)

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
What it is 179...SOLVED>>>The Big Land Yacht
« on: June 02, 2007, 02:11:30 AM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:19:16 AM by Oguerrerob »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: What it is 179
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »
Looks like a late '30's International, modified for......what?  ???
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
For towing aircraft perhaps??
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to add what I was looking for...

This is a purpose built custom chassis and custom body.

Looking for both...Giving 1 point for each.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."-Patrick Henry

Offline Tifosi

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 46
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:38:43 PM »
IIRC, it was the front end of a custom-builkt RV from th '30's...but I don't remember much more than that.

Dan
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending..."

Bender B.Rodrigues

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
I would have go go check on the dates, but you are on the right path.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »
it is a 1938 International D15 Truck (as stated above) modified and used to pull a 1936 Curtiss Aerocar 5th Wheel trailer.

<<<link removed>>>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:22:29 AM by Otto Puzzell »

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »
You now have a point for the chassis model, who did the coach work?

BTW, I don't see D15 mentioned anywhere, above....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:57:10 AM by GRAYWOLF »

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
    • My car photography
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
 1938 INTERNATIONAL D15 - Custom Built Tow Car

"The body was custom fabricated in Brantford, Ontario by Brantford Coach."

But Karnutz deserves the point anyway...

I just love those early trailers as they are used here, too:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:03:22 PM by grobmotorix »

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 05:45:38 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to add what you were looking for...  ;)

Grob got the coachbuilder - he gets the point. I'm assuming I already had the International chassis point...  :)

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »
It was a 2-pointer...you each get one.

Offline GRAYWOLF

• Future Media Mogul
  • Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 19
  • High School
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 01:31:43 PM »
Wm. Gray then organized a new business in Chatham called Colonial Traders, specializing in the manufacture and distribution of auto parts. It was through his company in 1936 that Mr. Gray imported this unique travel trailer, manufactured by the Aero-Car Company of Detroit, Michigan. “The Big Land Yacht” as Wm. Gray liked to call it, was originally intended as a pleasure vehicle for his family and was pulled by a ’36 Plymouth coupe.
It soon became evident that if full enjoyment of this motor home was to be realized, a more powerful tow vehicle was required. To this end Mr. Gray decided to have a unique tow vehicle built to his specifications. The International Harvester truck plant in Chatham provided a 1938 custom D-Line shorted wheel base cab and chassis with dual rear wheels. Power to the 2 speed rear axle was obtained from a Green Diamond 213 cubic inch flat head six cylinder engine coupled to a four speed transmission.
The body was custom built in Brantford, Ontario by Brantford Coach and consisted of molded sheet steel panels fastened to the hardwood framing members. The tow vehicle was a self contained traveling unit even without the trailer. It would seat seven persons and had bedding compartments and a swing-out sink unit. The windows had pull-down blinds and the six foot long rear seat would slide forward to provide a double berth.

http://www.hindleysgarage.com/ttc.htm