Author Topic: Whaddyacallit #53 - SOLVED - 1943 Carter Town Shopper  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • La philosophie dans la piscine
Whaddyacallit #53 - SOLVED - 1943 Carter Town Shopper
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
Ever seen this ?

Please, respond below and let us know the make and model designation of the car posted here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer.

Also, please be sure to check out our other puzzles, and, please post a puzzle of your own if you'd like - the more, the merrier.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:27:18 PM by Ray B. »
He Touched Me With His Noodly Appendage

Offline grobmotorix

• Professional
  • Puzzle Points 457
  • Please play fair guys
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My car photography
Re: Whaddyacallit #53
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:19:32 PM »
Looks very much like a french Rovin, but the wheels...

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
Hi, that is the Town Shopper, "the America’s Outstanding ECONOMY CAR" built by International Motor Car Corporation in San Diego 1948 but the ads are from 1943. It was designed for short shopping trips, with a luggage compartment in front. The small engine was rear-mounted and got up to 50 mpg. The aluminium body had no doors, just cut-down sides for the 2 passengers to enter.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:35:39 PM by Paul Jaray »

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »
Correct. I was about to reply to grobmotorix when you came and grabbed that point.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:35:41 PM by Ray B. »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »
I found the same pics with the reference to the Carter Motor Co. but the builder was International Motor Co, in San Diego, according to Gunnel's Standard catalog.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
Re: Whaddyacallit #53 - SOLVED - Town Shopper
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
The Carter Motor Co's address was in San Diego too, P.O. Box 1808. Maybe the name changed who knows when.

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
Also in Georgano's Encyclopedia is reported only the International Motor Company from San Diego and probably, considering that in the ad is written "Address all inquiries to Carter Mo.Co", this one is just a dealer.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Once in a while, it's fun to try to solve those contradictions. Here is what writes Richard M. Langworth about it in the Encyclopedia of american cars 1930-1980.
"In september 1948, shortly after the builder (International, that is)went out of business, a Carter Motor Corporation announced its "Town Shopper" (....) It is not known whether this was a revised design by a reorganized company or a new model by a different firm."
The "International" Towne Shopper was spelled with a e, The Carter Town Shopper is spelled without.

By the way, I did it again (moving the topic in the goddam News, Information and Feedback section).

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
You are right, in fact in Gunnel's book and in Georgano's one it's Towne Shopper (but from 1948!)
I think I know where your pics come from and there is a 3rd one with a date: 20 September 1943!

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »
This is from "Modern Mechanix", March 1948:
"ONE answer to a shopper’s prayers is this miniature, two-person convertible, called the Towne Shopper, soon to be produced by the newly formed International Motor Car Co. Designed for economy, it is priced at $595 f.o.b. San Diego and promises 45 to 50 miles to the gallon at speeds up to 50 m.p.h.

Made largely of aluminum, the flashy little coupe weighs only 600 pounds, is less than 10 feet long, providing easy maneuverability. The compact two-cylinder Onan engine, squeezed under the stub hood in the rear, leaves the larger space in the front for storing groceries or baggage. White wall tires, a radio with aerial, and a folding top add the luxury touch."

Even the car is different itself...the Towne Shopper has no doors, but there are in the one you posted...so I think the one in your pic is a Carter Town Shopper from ...1943?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:16:58 PM by Paul Jaray »

Offline @re

• Feature Writer
  • Puzzle Points 319
  • Cuore Sportivo
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
But did you notice how the woman in the first picture is just standing there waiting for the right moment to pick up the car by the bumpers and lift it?
1974 Fiat X1/9 1500
2005 Alfa GT 1,9 JTD

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »
But did you notice how the woman in the first picture is just standing there waiting for the right moment to pick up the car by the bumpers and lift it?
I had not, but OF COURSE, you're absolutely right. I bet she must be aching to be allowed to do it.

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
Re: Whaddyacallit #53 - SOLVED - 1943 Carter Town Shopper
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »
The proof ?

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
And we might as well offer the magazine clip about the other Towne Shopper, the International.

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 04:16:14 AM »
Period pic
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ray B.

• Puzzle Points 546
  • Pasta la vista
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
Puzzle picture restored.