Author Topic: July '06 Puzzle #1 - Solved! WSM Sprinzel Sprite  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
  • Open field, with a window.
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
July '06 Puzzle #1 - Solved! WSM Sprinzel Sprite
« on: July 01, 2006, 04:36:13 AM »

Please, respond below and let us know what make and model you think you see here.

If you haven't registered yet, you need to do so in order to reply with your answer.  You can do so by clicking here.

Also, please be sure to check out our other July puzzles.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:43:07 AM by pnegyesi »
You wanna be the man, you gotta Name That Car!

Offline Ultra

• Founder, Publisher Emeritus &
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
  • More than you bargained for
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: July Puzzle 1
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
A Datsun?  ???
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”

Click the pic....... Name the car

Offline Terraplaneguy

• Puzzle Points 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
The car is an Austin Healy bug eye Sprite with an aftermarket hood that relocated the headlights also appears to have a hardtop installed both popular accessories for the time

Offline porridgehead

• Puzzle Points 42
  • Seat's up! Pa's home!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
It is indeed a AH Sprite, but it's more than that. It's a Sprinzel Sebring coupe with bodywork by Williams and Pritchard. Sprinzel made six of them with an integrated hard top for racing and rallying.

As the provenance of all the original cars is well known and this has an unknown license, I would guess that it is a replica.
Measures with mics, marks with chalk, cuts with axe, beats to fit and paints to match

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 03:35:16 AM »
Welcome to AutoPuzzles, porridgehead ;D

Quite right on ID'ing the WSM Sprinzel Sprite. A tip of the editorial hat to you! 

Offline porridgehead

• Puzzle Points 42
  • Seat's up! Pa's home!
Re: <<SOLVED>> WSM Sprinzel Sprite
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 09:04:19 AM »
Thanks. I love this stuff.

I truly enjoy researching automotive puzzles. In fact, if I know the answers offhand, I won't post them. For me, the joy is in working with the styling cues, design memes and background information towards the discovery.

It's terrific to see puzzles that are indeed tricky and obscure. If this is an 'easy' puzzle, I look forward to the difficult ones.

I hope you don't mind if I point a couple people to this site. I think they will enjoy it.   ;)
Measures with mics, marks with chalk, cuts with axe, beats to fit and paints to match

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: <<SOLVED>> WSM Sprinzel Sprite
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
I hope you don't mind if I point a couple people to this site. I think they will enjoy it.   ;)

The more the merrirer.  Helping us grow the membership would be very endearing, indeed.

8)

Offline Otto Puzzell

• Founder and
  • Editor
  • Puzzle Points 444
    • AutoPuzzles
Re: July '06 Puzzle #1 - Solved! WSM Sprinzel Sprite
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Huzzah!

Offline D-type

• Expert
  • Puzzle Points 251
  • A retired civil engineer interested in cars
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
To quote an answer given by Richard Hiinton on Atlas F1's nostalgia Forum

The Douglas Wilson-Spratt Sebring Sprite later re-registered 598 HTM and EYE 206 when owned by opthalmologist Geoff Courtney Broome and again 940 WAR when owned by Jack Scott.

Rebuilt as a coupe in autumn of 1961 4th in class on 1961 RAC , 7th on 1962 Monte, 6hr relay Silverstone '62 Wilson-spratt took the reg no. on to various other projects
So it is apparently a WSM Sprite and not a Sebring Sprite, a Sprinzel Sebring Sprite or even a Speedwell Sebring Sprite
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Offline porridgehead

• Puzzle Points 42
  • Seat's up! Pa's home!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 11:19:54 PM »
Took a bit of digging, but you are spot on! I was thrown by the nose not being in accord with the rest of the coupe WSM cars. However, straight from the WSM home http://www.nolinks.com, comes the original DWS 97, pre-coupe conversion. As you stated, this is definitely not a Sprinzel, nor anything but a WSM. Good job!

Here she be, after the full coupe installation:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:58:49 PM by Paul Jaray »

Offline Ultra

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 20
    • AutoPuzzles
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:27 PM »
We would like to welcome Tony from http://nolinks.com/ to the site and thank him for helping us as the source of our very first puzzle.

8)

Be sure to check out all of the other great vintage iron on Tony's site.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:00:52 PM by Paul Jaray »

Offline Paul Jaray

• Editor
  • Puzzle Points 2073
  • MVP
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
Title should be corrected.